Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I must be doing something wrong. I have a 02 Classic 700 and trying to remove the suspension (plan to have the shocks rebuilt and replace the hyfax/slides).

What seems to be happening is one of the bolts are turning the shaft inside. I have vise grips on the underside of the tunnel to hold the shaft, but it seems to be tightened by "king-kong".

Is there just the 4 allen bolts that hold the M-10 to the tunnel? Is there some trick to removing these bolts?

·
Registered
476 Posts
same thing happend to me on my 2003 edge x when taking the suspension out. what you need is something to turn the bolt faster then a wrench. we used our impact wrench and it worked good. hope this helps

·
Registered
14 Posts
If you've never had the suspension out before, the first time is a real bear. The factory used locktite on the bolts. Here's how I do it. Loosen one bolt at a time. Take it out,clean the old locktite off and put a little never sieze, or plain gun grease on the bolt and run it back in the shaft and tighten it up. Then do this to the bolt on the opposite side. After doing this to all 4 you should be able to loosen all for just a little and then turn them all out without them spinning the shaft. A vice grip or plier just clamps onto the outer suspension shaft and won't stop the inner shaft from turning. To get the suspension out and into the tunnel, it go's much easier if you use a ratchet strap on the rear arm and ratchet it down a ways before pulling the suspension out or putting it back into the track and tunnel. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Had the same problem. Impact wrench is the answer. Then clean the threads of lock tite, etc..

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Got it...Had to tighten the one side back up, put visegrips on the collars, and loosen and re-tighten a little bit at a time.

I couldn't do the impact thing, because it's the bolts in the foot rest area.

Now my rear shaft threads are slightly "mangled" but I can get the bolt back in by hand tighten..

Thanks for all the information!!!

Rainman

1 - 5 of 5 Posts