Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody know if I can ditch the d%&m primer button on my 97 MXZ 670 and replace it with a normal style choke set up? That primer is THE WORST "invention" I have ever seen! That is unless you want to instantly flood your engine !!!!
Thanks

·
Registered
948 Posts
Wouldn't that require carb body replacement? Seems excessive to me. How about just a little less plunge and/or restrict the flow of fuel through the primer to the engine some other way? Just my thoughts.

-----------------------------
I think.... therefore I sled
-----------------------------
Two '94 Indy XLT SKS

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
I don't know how long you have had your sled for, but if you play around with it, you can usually get it every time... i know on mine, its 3 times, pull... and it work fine. Also its a good anti-theft device...they can be a bugger if you don't know the machine... but i do agree chokes can be easier...

GO HARD, OR GO HOME - IF YOU COME TO A FORK IN THE ROAD...TAKE IT

·
Registered
837 Posts
you know that anti-theft thing that is true. it happened to me, over the night my snowmobile was almost stolen but they got it going and off the trail but it died, and they couldn't get it going, you have to know you primer andif you get it wrong it won't work. what i have noticed because i jetski also is that a primer is nicer on a jetski and a choke is better on a snowmoilbe, but the problem is that they cokme with the opposite, but they have changed that with snowmobiles, know most have choke and when it cold its nice that you can set the choke and it can idle for a min or 2 with out having to hold the throttle and jetski don't have the temp changes and the primer works good because once it starts its good to go. but to add a choke to yours it is not as simple as adding choke plates, the choke on my 01 mxzx 800 is some sort of fuel circut not choke plates, so the only way to get it is find carbs that have it stock

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
hehe......i got 4 letters for ya: BEFI

IMHO

When's Winter Coming Back?​

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I bought the sled the end of last season and only had a chance to ride it two weekends....so I definately don't know it yet! It started pretty easy if it started the first try last winter.
I tried to fire it up last weekend....No Dice. It would fire for a second or two then die and then I would have to pull the plugs and dry them...over and over and over. After about 15 trys I gave up! I'm hoping that maybe the hot weather combined with the jetting is what the problem is......Wishful thinking?
It's frustrating me to no end! Any advice?

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
The only other thing I'd recommend is making sure your carbs are good, clean and syncronized. As well as making sure your thottle cables are adjusted properly.

Like everyone else said, it just sounds like you'll have to figure out how much priming is enough, and whats too much for your sled. Good luck.

1997 XLT SP 600
"Engage the Mechanism"

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
electric, or pull?? umm i can't speak for everyone, but when i get 2 seconds and it dies, i give it another squirt, and pull some more... i have to pull tho...

·
Registered
117 Posts
As far as I know, you can't just change the carbs to a butterfly choke style.
The reason Ski-doo uses a primer is because they use rotary valves. These don't work with choke style carbs. On the newer sleds that have reeds, they use chokes.

On a brighter note, next time you flood your sled by over priming, just pull your throttle all the way open to the bar while turning your motor over. (Either by pulling or with electric starter if your that lucky.) You'll need to do that about 5 - 20 times. It's a lot easier than getting your plug wrench out and drying the plugs.

Most sleds require 2-3 squirts when cold and shouldn't need any if the motor is warmed up. If it won't start when warm, only give it one shot.
If it dies while it's warming up, give it a shot with the primer as soon as you notice the RPM's dropping. keep doing this untill it runs steady, at this point you should be able to use your throttle without causing it to shut down.

You should watch your fuel lines from the primer to your carbs while you pump the primer. Watch for the fuel and air bubbles flowing in the lines. If the fuel doesn't move right away, you may have to add a squirt or 2 to the count mentioned above.

Like everyone else has stated, You'll have to find what technique works for your sled and temperatures.

GOOD LUCK!
Jeff

RIDE SAFE - RIDE SOBER

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
All that a choke does is cut off the air supply to give more juice to the carbs.
Is there any way that you can cover up your airbox intake with your hand or something?

When hell freezes over, we'll ride there too.

·
Registered
167 Posts
i disconected the primer setup on my old cat because i never had to use it, i guess if you had to ride in sub zero weather it might be of some use, how it worked was by pumping it, it shot straight gas into the intake manifold, i didnt like that idea anyhow, seems to me that might be a little tough on rings to me so i disconected it and put a plug on the port into the intake, my sled starts in 1 pull with the choke in half way position.

if its not a CAT, then it must be a dog!

·
Registered
412 Posts
When you're first pumping the primer you won't feel any resistance as it is pumping air. You should be able to feel the difference when the gas starts flowing; that's when I start counting my 3 strokes. Works every time. Of course, I have electric start which helps...

Jacqui.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
LOL Well thats always an opption... /snofan/../images/users/SledHead/thumbs-up.jpg

·
Registered
266 Posts
If it don't start trade it in SAAAWWWWEEEEETTTTT!!!!

You can Fly with EFI
Spaceman
Mean Green Racing
Elyria, Ohio

1 - 16 of 16 Posts