Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to repaint my skis and just can't seem to get them off end of the spindle. I removed the bolt that secures the ski and the rubber bushing that the bottom of the spindle sits in. Anyone have any suggestions? They must come off some how. Maybe I need to jack the sled off the ground mor than I have been.

* Polaris * ......... The Way Out!

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
If i remember right, what i did was slide the spindle either towards the front, or rear of the ski's frame, then rotate the spindle around using the little space in the windows of the ski. Meneuver it around and it should slide out the top then. It's a very tight fit.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes it is a tight fit. Almost wondering how the heck they got it on to begin with. You defintely go it off though? Probably just as hard to get it back on I bet.

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
The way I do it is cut a wedge shaped shim out of wood with a table saw and tap it in between brackets to spread them apart.
Good luck.
K

When hell freezes over, we'll ride there too.

·
Registered
30 Posts
It takes some work getting the old heavy antiquated steel skis off; as I'm sure you have figured out buy now. IF you have $100 I saw in my slp flyer today that they are selling some factory Polaris take off plastic skis. These will work on your sled and will be a huge weight savings. Supply was limited, as I believe these were off of their test sleds. I'm not sure if they are the side hill skis or not but definitely worth a call. If you install these plastic skis with your current spindles you will have a tendency to bottom out the tails of the skis on your control arms in big bumps and jumps. The way around that is to install the newer spindles (not edge models), which is an inch taller preventing the tails from bottoming out. So depending on your riding style on whether or not you need the new longer spindles. But plastic skis are a must and a heck of a buy at $100.

Regards,
Nathan

Alaska The Great Land!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
What I do is I position the rubber cushion on the ski so it is a far out of the way as possible for getting the ski off and I spray WD-40 on the spindle and the rubber and jerk the ski a couple times and should come off

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yahoooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sorry I got carried away but both skis are off and it was so fricken easy! I used the methods as suggested by Megaman and 500fasEnuf and it was just so damn easy!

I can't thank you guys enough! -Mike

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Glad to help

When hell freezes over, we'll ride there too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts