Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I when I pull my skid to have the shock rebuilt and replace the hyfax sliders I want to pull off all my idler wheels. I read a tech article about this saying it will reduce weight and actually help the life of the hyfax do to a more even contact with the hyfax. This is what it should look like when I'm done...(like a Pro x skid)

[attachment=52130]

Attachments

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
It's funny how technology changes. 30 years ago - what you have there is more idlers than they had. Just a set in the back, and slides. Nothing else... then time went on and more and more idlers were added. Now that skid looks like my 79 Centurion skid. My TXL-Indy (81) has more than that....then my XLT has more, then the XCR has even more. Now the new thing is to start pulling them off? Funny stuff.

I wouldn't see a huge problem with pulling them off, seeing as that's all they had a long time ago and it didn't hurt anything.

Bryan

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yea good point, plus I think it looks better with out them.

·
Registered
4,299 Posts
If you ride a lot of roads i would say you probably need to keep them on there but if your always in good snow conditions then you might be ok without them

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
Good luck on the front wear on the hyfax. I bet they will go in no time. Especially if you ride in marginal snow conditions. If you are riding in deep snow then they will be great but they are still going to wear on the front like mad. Take a look at the track angle when you put it in. All I can say is good luck to you.

·
Registered
6,184 Posts
Just remove them and if you experience any premature hyfax wear just add a set to that area. Im thinking your gonna need a wheel on each side just before the curve though.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Do the pro x skids get a lot of wear up front? I know its a different skid but they still have the bend. I think i will leave the ones up front then but remove the ones that are by the end of the torsion spring. I will try to find that article.

·
Registered
404 Posts
On my 1996, even with both idlers at the curve and both in good condition, it eats the hifax directly after and between them. Believe me, you will not want to remove them. The weight that you lose is going to be so negligable compared to the weight of the sled that you won't even notice them plus the fact that you will probably have some more rolling resistance at the front of the rail which would cancel out any gains.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I knew about the weight but why is it that the Pro x can get away with it and not us? The skids look similar. I just was goin' more for look too. I think those idlers looks nasty. I think it would look nice and clean with out them. Looks like they will stay on :(

·
Registered
404 Posts
Originally posted by RED_XCR_440
[br]I knew about the weight but why is it that the Pro x can get away with it and not us? The skids look similar. I just was goin' more for look too. I think those idlers looks nasty. I think it would look nice and clean with out them. Looks like they will stay on :(
They can get away with it because the Pro-X race sleds run on a thick layer of extremely wet snowcross snow. They don't run across gravel, woodchips, sand, or anything else abrasive. Also, the races are so short that they can get away with it and replace them after the race or between heats.

If you are referring to the Pro X trail sleds, they too came with an idler at the front of the rail near where it angles and another a little further back, just like the XTRA-10. The only one that didn't was the ProX R 800 which I am sure required them to be put on by the owner if it was used on the trails.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Consumer prox sleds come with 4 additional wheels. I took the inside front ones off my pro because they constantly fail but I would never remove the others for trail use in michigan. If you are always in excellent snow all you need is the rear.

Just a note, do you know who's prox skid the picture is from? They are about to destroy an expensive shock. It is upside down.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Jb, I will be keeping the wheels on :(. Oh and I got that pic off of ebay. So no idea who's it is, what shock is upside down?

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
LOL...sux to be them!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts