Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do I remove the primary clutch from an 92 Mach1 sled. The clutch siezed up on the lake the other day. I loosened the bolt which popped the clutch against the side of the belly. I have to be able to push the center back in to get this thing out. /snofan/../images/users/mach1guy/DSC01020.jpg

[?]

·
Registered
837 Posts
do you have the puller tool, you need that, it is a special bolt and you need the tool to hold the clutch from spinning, and a button tool., i wonder why it stuck. have you tried warming it up like in a heated garage?

heres pictures

button tool

clamping tool, the one in the middle

puller

·
Registered
146 Posts
I know on my older sleds with Comet clutches you can take the threaded puller (bolt) and drive it in with a 3/8" impact gun with no problems. I don't know if that's the case with certain clutches like yours though.

·
Registered
837 Posts
you can use a impact wrench but its in not recommended, what i do is put some oil on the treads and end to make it turn easy, then get it tight and tap on the puller with a hammer and it usually pops off, you may want to warm the clutch to loosen it up,=

·
Registered
22 Posts
Try taking a hammer and tapping on the outside of your clutch to get it to open up(watch your fingers). The center won't go back in because with it jamed closed the spring is pushing the center out. If you can get it to open, the center should just slide back into place. Then put the puller in and use the three keys.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I pulled the sled into my garage last night and let it defrost a bit. A few taps with a hammer and some gentle force released the clutch. I am still a bit leary of some mechanical damage so I will do a test run with the track elevated.

Thanks for help.

·
Registered
22 Posts
you'll need to change the bushing for sure. The clutch on my 92 mach jammed last week. it's the bushing in the cover over the spring that's likely jamming the clutch. 86$ at the dealer, and it's really easy to change.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts