Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I heard a rumour going around that removing your flap will improve driving in powder etc.....any truth to be heard here?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Not unless you've got a really stiff flap that hangs up on the snow. Some of my buds have their flaps cut and moved up so it's only about 4 inches high with just the ski-doo logo showing. It looks pretty cool but didn't make much difference in the powder. Impressive rooster tail off the 2" track at high speed though[;)]

·
Registered
197 Posts
removig the flap will piss off the guy behind you!(lol)
sometimes bending the mount back a little or bracing it up will help more

·
Registered
328 Posts
What a lot of guys around here do is get a mud flap for a truck, a really flexible one and replace the original with that. Its really nice on trails because it stops almost all debris, which helps keep everything cooler and then in the powder it comes up without a problem. It only makes a big difference if you riding DEEP powder, otherwise just stick with yours.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
well....heres the thing, if u have a liquid cooled sled,and u take the flap off, u will have a good chance to be running hotter.The reason is the fact that not as much snow is bein kicked up in the tunnel where the cooling system is.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Originally posted by Gnarly_Boots
[br]coolers are along the foot wells....
Yes, but snow does get deflected up into the tunnel by the flap...

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
like aklawok said.. it pisses people off hardcore!, my cousins flap got stuck under his tunnel last year for a while and i was behind him until i coudlnt take anymore[:D]

·
Registered
8,108 Posts
Originally posted by Gnarly_Boots
[br]coolers are along the foot wells....
not true. Most sleds DON'T have coolers on the running boards. The majority just have a front tunnel cooler. Some also have cooling strips at the top of the tunnel. Some mountain sleds also have a cooler in the rear of the tunnel.

Removing the snow-flap will allow the snow to leave the suspension and track area quicker. Ths WILL make your sled run warmer also. How much so, depends on the conditions, and your exact sled's cooling setup.

-Dean

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
i think its funny how u guys are trying to tell him that his coolers arent on the running boards,its his sled dont you think he knows where they are??i can tell you on my 97 ultra spx 680 the heat exchangers were on the running boards,but on his sled i dont know where they are he says thats where they are so that must be where they are

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
i take it you dont look at your sled much mxz?or maybe you just dont know what they look like??just look under your sled and see where they are,its a good thing to know so u can feel them and make sure the anti-freeze is flowing and warming them up before you take off on a ride..

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Were not talking about running trails here guys, kicking up snow on your coolers is the last thing you have to worry about in the mountains.. There will be plenty of snow to keep your sled running fine. Also if the snow is leaving your suspension and track area quicker, that is even better. The less snow stuck on your sled equals less driving weight which is what your looking for in the powder. How often is someone riding right behind you in the mountain.....hardly ever!! Take it off I won't hurt.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The coolers are on the running boards...the rear skid is a 95 XLTsks....the flap is off now...and I noticed a considerable difference in the deep powder....someone mentioned to me that I can get a $300 fine for removing it.....sounds like bull to me....guess they'll just have to catch me...[8D]

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
ken420 the ultra also has 2 large coolers under the seat.

whos going to give you a ticket when powder riding, on the trails probably but otherwise not.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Originally posted by mrnoah
[br]on my 94 xlt SKS the cooler are on the running boards. and this it kindof a mtn sled.
I think you'll find that sled also came stock with a heat exchanger in the front of the tunnel. A buddy of mine had one and it did, I have a 94 RXL and it has them on the running boards and in the back under the seat, not in the front of the tunnel, my 98XC has them as tunnel protectors the length of the tunnel and one in the the front of the tunnel.
If you ride on hard pack with no flap less snow is going to stay in the tunnel hitting the coolers. I put on a longer flap to help with this.

·
Registered
18 Posts
you could always drill out the rivets, if that is how your flap is attached and then put it back on with some bolts. when you are on the trail keep it on but once you get to a place to play, take it off and go. that is what i am thinking of doing with mine. i carry a pack with me whenever i go so i have to stop to take that off anyway and taking 4 or so bolts out wont take that long.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts