Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do I need to drop the entire skid or just the back and clear the track to remove everything easier.

I dropped the skid on my wifes XLT last year and it was a PITA. I guess many have doen it many times but just doing it once and removing it enough to change the track was enough.

I was hoping to drop the rear of the skid, raise the sled enough to work comfortably, without having to remove the driveshaft etc...... is there anything else?

I hope to get that accomplished this weekend and get the shocks out.

·
Registered
855 Posts
You can remove the rear skid with out removing the drive shaft, just get a ratchet strap to compress the front shock and the rear shock in the rear skid. Makes it easier to get it out of the track kinda gets hung up on the nob's but if your bolts aren't that rusty it should be simple to get the shock off 2 bolts upper and lower bam its off.

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Somebody asked about this about a week ago. I have removed the shocks without removing the skid, but it would be much easier just to remove the skid. Then the track and snowmobile aren't in the way when you remove the shocks. Plus you can inspect all your bearings and shafts.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks guys...I typed it this morning. Then on the way to work I was like...what was I thinking. The skid comes out without taking the shaft out.... duh!

Yes the last time I used a small ratchet strap to remove and put back in. Sure made things much easier.

·
Registered
855 Posts
oh yeah !! The ratchet strap is the tool from GOD when it come to putting the skid in and out. My friends told me to do that, I was like no ^%$^& why didn't I ever think of that DUH.

·
Registered
317 Posts
You could also try putting the sled on its side. This helps out too when removing the skid.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts