Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
have a 1992 polaris indy lite 340 want to replace ski but can't remove the old ones removed cotter pin and locking nut bolt won't slide out am i missing something to do help

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
I think they're pretty much all the same. To just drop the ski off you do exactly what you said. The bolt is probably a little rusted in there. So I'd take a metal punch or a philips head screwdriver and place the tip of it on the end of the ski bolt and try tapping it out with a hamer. Also maybe spray a little WD-40 in there to help loosen it up. Then rock the ski back and forth.

I'm assuming that you have the sled blocked up off the ground with the ski in the air while your doing this. You don't want any pressure on the ski. Good luck.

1997 XLT SP 600
"Engage the Mechanism"

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
I have had several sleds in the past where the bolt has seized right in there and it was not coming out. I had to remove the spindle and take the assembly to work. Cut off both ends flush whith the ski. then centerpunch the bolt and start drilling. I was able to use carbide drill which really helped. start with a fairly small drill make sure you go in straight and then progress to the same size drill as the bolt. On mine there was steel bushings that were also seized on the bolt and in the spindle. they got drilled out too. I hope yours arnt that bad and the penetrating oil and punch trick will work. Good luck

·
Administrator
13,092 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>Originally posted by hotrod:
I have had several sleds in the past where the bolt has seized right in there and it was not coming out. I had to remove the spindle and take the assembly to work. Cut off both ends flush whith the ski. then centerpunch the bolt and start drilling. I was able to use carbide drill which really helped. start with a fairly small drill make sure you go in straight and then progress to the same size drill as the bolt. On mine there was steel bushings that were also seized on the bolt and in the spindle. they got drilled out too. I hope yours arnt that bad and the penetrating oil and punch trick will work. Good luck

[/quote]

Wow, I live on a farm and we have some pretty rusty bolts around here, and we've never had to do that!

When i get a bolt that's really siezed in there, take off the spindle and stick it in a press, then just press it out. If that little ski bolt can hold up to 55 tons of pressure against it, then I'd go for what hotrod said.

http://www.bolliger-mabillard.com

I love B&M Coasters!

·
Administrator
13,092 Posts
Good luck!

http://www.bolliger-mabillard.com

I love B&M Coasters!

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Strangely enough they were both indy 650s that i had purchased used. I tried the hydralic press at work too, but the bolt just buckled. I made up bronze bushings to replace the old seized steel ones and they worked great.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts