Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am using this old track for my trailer. I need to remove the studs, quick and dirty.

I did a search and all the old threads show the neat ways to do it. Well these are rusted bad, allen keys didn't work with vice grips.. so, I don't care what happens, I just want them out and I got alot to take out.

My idea, a hole saw on my drill thats a little bigger then the round backers.

You guys got any better ideas?
[attachment=52480]

Edit- See that picture? The studs down the sides of the track!? Don't do it! It destroyed that side of the track where the stud ripped out. I now have 2-3 tracks here that look like that [:(]

Attachments

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
easiest way... go to your local dealer and get a junk track thats studless. Ive had enough crappy sleds where as I had enough tracks to line the sheds with, but your easiest bet is to find a scrap yard or something that has one w/o studs

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
How are you going to get the drill centered over the stud. Are you not going to have the starting point on.

You can't place studs that close to the outside. I have always studded the outside and have never had a pull out. I guess I was smart enough to center the stud.

·
Registered
6,184 Posts
A good bolt cutter would get them out quick. Or just cut a line towards the studs and pull em out that way.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Just take a grinder and grind them all off.

·
Premium Member
15,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
^ They are carbide tipped, and it would take forever to grind 144 studs off and many grinding disk.

Pricy440- I don't have one out here. And I don't have a way to throw this track out here.. so I want to use this one.

MonsterJ- A bolt cutter to cut thru a nut and a hardened stud?

Originally posted by xcr440
[br]How are you going to get the drill centered over the stud. Are you not going to have the starting point on.

You can't place studs that close to the outside. I have always studded the outside and have never had a pull out. I guess I was smart enough to center the stud.
I bought all the tracks that way. And yes, I am going to not use the starting drill. I think this is the quickest and am going to buy the hole saw tommorrow.. just want to see if anyone else has a quicker idea.

·
Administrator
13,092 Posts
Acetylene torch. If you're careful you won't light the track on fire. Keep water or a fire extinguisher handy though...

·
Registered
6,184 Posts
Bolt cutters take care of hardened locks pretty easily. I know from losing the shed key countless times, not from any illegal activities.

·
Premium Member
15,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Originally posted by Polaris-Man
[br]Acetylene torch. If you're careful you won't light the track on fire. Keep water or a fire extinguisher handy though...
I got that out and my landlord flipped as I was next to his leaking propane tank.

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
Matt, holycrap if I were you, I would be pissed about leaking propane tank! stupid landlords or something! they are not up to OSHA codes ( I think I got it correct ), so he can go piss off!

·
Registered
365 Posts
Get out the smoke wrench aka acetylene torch. Keep a fire extinguisher close at hand.

Worked for a construction contractor making big rocks into little rocks when I was in college and we never turned a bolt or nut counter clock wise. Always used the "smoke wrench". Time is money![^]

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
Cut them off with the torches, if you do it right you can cut the nut off (heat the nut from the top till just the nut is red then hit it with the oxy till you see the threads, then the same on the opposite side, then hit the nut off with a chissel), re-thread the studs and sell them ;) if you don't care about selling them just cut the studs off. The easiest way is probably the way to re-sell them, your going to have to pound them to get them out of the track. If there's a leaking propane tank do it in the driveway lol, just keep the flames away from cement.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Try a grinder with zip cut discs before trying the "Red Wrench". You might go through a few of them but it won't be as messy. And are the backers plastic, aluminum or steel? Torches mixed with plastic and a rubber track= MESS!

Good Luck![:)]

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
There is a free track at DT right now, thats all you have to do is pay for the shipping! No studs I think! That or just use the bolt cutters. I have cut a lot of hardened locks with good bolt cutters.

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
this is a hard one.. buy the trailor mats from your arctic cat dealer for 10$ each

·
Premium Member
15,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Originally posted by Intimdtr77
[br]There is a free track at DT right now, thats all you have to do is pay for the shipping! No studs I think! That or just use the bolt cutters. I have cut a lot of hardened locks with good bolt cutters.
What is DT???

Oh.. and you guys.. I am kidding about the landlord thing!!! HAHAHA so was pman.. (I hope!)

His effing propane tank is leaking however. I told him 2 days ago and he said that they won't come on the weekend. So, I am not sparking anything up by that bad boy! hahaha

I like the idea above of cutting them out and selling them. They are in great shape, carbides have alot left on them. So. I am going to try the hole saw method around the round stud, then they will still be usable if seperated. Then I will sell them for 1/2 price? who knows. But, I will be on this $hit tommorrow after I go pick up a treadmill for my woman with my truck. I will pick up a hole saw while I am at it. Can't hurt to try.

Pictures coming tommorrow..

your comments are cracking me up.. especially the heavy carnage ones!
I will do a before and after as I usually do...

BEFORE (taken tonight)
[attachment=52479]

Attachments

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
Not 100% sure how well it would work, but what about a dremel and rotozip bit....Just cut around them. The problem I see with the hole saw will be melted rubber building up in the teeth...

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
Ya Matt, you don't grind the stud off, LMAO, you cut the nyloc with the grinder and push the stud, or what's left of it out.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
why not use a nut breaker?? the nut will crack off, and just push the rest out? thats what i used, and it worked well. I was so good after 15 breaks, that I used an impact from there on, the carpal tunnel started kicking in.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts