Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it alright to remove the baffles from my sled's Canister?

And if it is, will there be any loss of power?

Will it be too loud???

Tim Patten

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
It will definetely get louder! I've seen people drill holes right through their baffles because they could not remove them. They did it for the sound, or noise; whichever you prefer... :)

If anything, it will give your sled more power, not less, but it would be unnoticeable. Your pipe coming off the engine is what gives your engine alot of it's power. But, the main reason for the canister is to muffle the sound. IMO.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Actually removing all baffles will greatly decrease your power. 2Strokes are like all small displacement engines they require backpressure to produce power. Thats the whole idea of the expansion chamber design in 2 stroke pipes.

·
Registered
502 Posts
hmmmmmm, I'd have to say unless you know what you're doing your gonna lose more power by taking the baffles out, or by drilling. The canister does serve more purpose than to just "muffle" the sound.
Of course I could be wrong, it's not like I make my living in silencers or anything like that.
Jr.

I don't use the brakes until I see God, and I am never wrong. I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken.
http://www.whiteknuckleperformance.com

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
Yes, they need backpressure, but isn't that the main job of the tuned pipe, and not the canister? Because if that were true, then why would modified drag sleds have their pipes stick straight out the rear with no canister or silencer or anything? But i guess, depending on the design, maybe some sleds do need the canister.
I think i just need to see if from someone's else's viewpoint...

C'mon rocket, you should know, you build these things....

·
Registered
277 Posts
Rockets right. Most likely you are going to lose power. As rocket knows, the muffler/canister is designed to reduce noise, give the proper amount of backpressure and last the life of the sled. I put a DG silencer on my sled and lost power. Why? Less backpressure. I lost 200-300 rpms on top end. It seemed snappier down low, from a dead stop, but top end was gone. Of course the stock pipes on my sled sucked from the factory and putting the DG silencer on only made it worse.

'HAMMER DOWN !!'

·
Registered
115 Posts
The backpressure mainly comes from the pipe but then silencer does help some. I hollowed out the can along time ago on an el tigre 6000. It didn't seem to change the power. It got louder but not too bad, I was happy with it but I'm sure it depends on the sled. You might be able to change jetting or clutching to compensate for the loss of backpressure.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
there is no way to jet or clutch to compensate for a loss of backpressure. Loss of backpressure is just that a loss of something the engine needs. You got lucky on that El Tigre I would highly not recommend gutting the silencer on anything. Removing a few baffles or drilling holes in a couple fine but not all out gutting. I know on late 90s Yamahas you can use a hole saw and cut out a baffle at the exit hole of the canister and get a power and sound gain without a loss of backpressure.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Not entirely true Sled Dog. The silencer does very little for the backpressure, its mostly up to the pipe. It all has to do with fuel scavaging. The sounds waves that bounce off the pipe create most of the back pressure. If you lose some back pressure by gutting the silencer, it may be possible that the motor needs to run at a different rpm to compensate for the change. This would let the pipe work with the stock port timing. Also, the motor will probably run a little leaner, so a bigger jet size might help. The two-stroke motor does need backpressure to work, and you won't gain backpressure from jetting or clutching. But stock is not always best. If you combine the changes; exhaust, clutching, and jetting, you can make the HP.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
interesting and I can see it but that isn't true in all applications. I know of multiple instances where people gutted their silencers and discovered a loss of power followed. I understand what you are saying but all I can say is that silencers and pipes are somewhat of a science and if you don't even know that a 2 stroke requires back pressure you may not be the person to decide what baffles it does and does not need.

·
Registered
502 Posts
without getting to in depth, your silencer does more than what you guys think. One of the biggest thing that the silencer helps to control is the fuel flow of your motot. Depending on how much air volume your silencer allows through, it kinda determines how much fuel your motor flows. So in theory if you gut your can then you can jet down and gain power cause your motor is flowing more fuel, but it doesn't always work this way. I have seen it so many times it's weird.
Oh by the way, looking out the window it's snowing huge flakes about the size of silver dollars. ground is white again, might have to take out one of the rev's or the firekitty, or if I put the motor back in teh rx-1!

I don't use the brakes until I see God, and I am never wrong. I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken.
http://www.whiteknuckleperformance.com

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Sorry to butt in on this post but its exactly touching on what i was wondering for my sled. Heres the deal. 96 ultra with obnoxiously loud PSI ModblasterII lake race edition Pipes. They have individual repackable silencers followed by three seperate stingers. I can't ride this sled this way in my area any more. I was wondering if I could adapt them into a decent quiet silencer and still have most of the power. From what ive read so far. some think the silencer is just for noise control. If thats the case I should be able to modify my pipes.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts