Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
That hood is glass, NOT plastic like newer ones. You can use Glass cloth, Glass Resin, Bondo filler etc.... Just like doing a Vette.... Plastic hoods are a NO GO with filler, etc.... They flex !!!! I did my 76 RV sled hood before. Same as I did my Vette.... Your good to gooooooo. Just BESURE the hood is not PLASTIC !! Be carefull sanding not to go below the Gel Coat type layer... Or you will be using filler etc... Besure to wet sand your final work on body work. I recently molded a fiberglass windshield to a plastic 1994 hood... Something you DON"T DO... Because plastic hood flexis, will crack the filler. I glass resin clothed it first, then filler to form it for paint. Here below in link.
Vintage Drag Sled Build. 721 CrankShop Rotax Open Mod. Heavy Mod. Outlaw.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Your hood being Glass is easy to work with. Clean her up, looks to be worth it...!! Plastic hoods? GRRRRRR....!!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Yep that is correct it is fiberglass.

How about spot putty, would that work as well?

There was one spot while wet sanding (the picture of the crack in the fiberglass) where I went down pretty far. Not sure if I went through the gel coat or not. I'm only 22 and it's my first time doing fiberglass work, how would I know if I went through the gel coat? And if I did can I just bondo/ resin over it and then paint?
DO NOT USE SPOT PUTTY.... It is NOTHING more than thick Lacquer primer. You need thin layer of body filler, BONDO as you might know it. Use like 320 grit to feather smooth it out, Spray area with gray primer, let it set day or so, dry sand it light smooth with 320, then primer it again until it shows no feather areas. Use a GOOD automotive primer. If you use cheap rustoleum etc.... It will gum up the paper, gum up the hood scratches, never feather and smooth out !!!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Yeah I love the skidoo! So much power for the size of the sled. Only a 114 inch track on her.

The nose cone for the skidoo is plastic and will need work, but people have told me you can patch it up with Fiberglass from the inside and you won’t be able to notice.

Great work on your skidoo, is that a plastic hood? And did you sand down the windshield on yours? Because I have a black plastic windshield on mine that is cracked and has a lot of scratches on it
You can glass cloth resin patch it inside. But outside is still plastic crack in bumper. My windshield is NOT plastic. It is fiberglass. Kinda hard to fix a plastic shield not noticeable. Glue it LOL, run Huge decal over the crack.... Yes my hood is plastic. The windshield is fiberglass.

·
Registered
42 Posts
If you don't have spray guns etc.... To paint it the correct way? Here is your spray can way.... Probably need lot of cans, and ya won't get a nice wide spray pattern, but here ya go... Rust-Oleum MARIGOLD YELLOW is your color for cheap spray can match. BUT USE A AUTOMIVE spray can primer for sanding it smooth. DO NOT USE RUSTOLEUM PRIMER.. !! Marigold yellow will match as a nicer yellow like the 94 hood yellow below.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Yeah I’ll probably just try and find a replacement for windshield for my skidoo. Hopefully I can find one in black because I like the look of it better than the clear windshields.

The paint for my sled was skidoo yellow 1984. I have a can of sun yellow by rustoleum but I think you may be right the marigold yellow looks to be closer.

Sun Yellow is REAL pale color.... It might be correct match for 84 hood. But you want the nice Skidoo Yellow. Marigold Yellow is the one to use from a cheap spray can... You want that deeper Skidoo yellow, not Pale color. Get the hood OFF, remove the shield, remove all the decals etc.... Sand it down...

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hello.

I am new to this forum and this is my first post.

I'm looking to repaint my 1984 Skidoo SS25 this summer but there are these lines that come through the paint and it goes right down to the fiberglass but it is not an actual crack because the surface is smooth. As you can see in the pictures it goes right through all the layers of paint to the fiberglass. I was going to use bondo but now im not to sure because its a filler and there is nothing there to fill. I seen some people online say to use an epoxy based resin. Let me know what you think. Also who the hell thought it was a good idea to paint this sled green. View attachment 532843

View attachment 532841 View attachment 532842 View attachment 532843 View attachment 532843

I would put on a new windshield, Then I would spray the entire hood and windshield yellow... Be sharp looking sled. Set it off from other 84 hoods..!!

·
Registered
42 Posts
yeah it could look cool. I do really like the look of the black windshield though. Most of the ss25s have clear windshields but some have black and I think it looks really good

Is the shield black or smoked plexiglass? just fix yours, paint it. put a big decal over it..

Are the shields black? Or black SMOKED Plexiglas? Fix yours, Paint it, use a big old Rotax, or Skidoo graphic over the crack LOL..?

·
Registered
42 Posts
IDK... Maybe check and see if the 91 shield is a fit like I had on mine. Looks almost same hood for shield fit only maybe? IDK... I the first top pic I made that shield. I bought black windshield material.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts