Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello.

I am new to this forum and this is my first post.

I'm looking to repaint my 1984 Skidoo SS25 this summer but there are these lines that come through the paint and it goes right down to the fiberglass but it is not an actual crack because the surface is smooth. As you can see in the pictures it goes right through all the layers of paint to the fiberglass. I was going to use bondo but now im not to sure because its a filler and there is nothing there to fill. I seen some people online say to use an epoxy based resin. Let me know what you think. Also who the hell thought it was a good idea to paint this sled green. Tire Automotive tire Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive design

Tire Automotive tire Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive design

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep that is correct it is fiberglass.

How about spot putty, would that work as well?

There was one spot while wet sanding (the picture of the crack in the fiberglass) where I went down pretty far. Not sure if I went through the gel coat or not. I'm only 22 and it's my first time doing fiberglass work, how would I know if I went through the gel coat? And if I did can I just bondo/ resin over it and then paint?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah I love the skidoo! So much power for the size of the sled. Only a 114 inch track on her.

The nose cone for the skidoo is plastic and will need work, but people have told me you can patch it up with Fiberglass from the inside and you won’t be able to notice.

Great work on your skidoo, is that a plastic hood? And did you sand down the windshield on yours? Because I have a black plastic windshield on mine that is cracked and has a lot of scratches on it

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah I’ll probably just try and find a replacement for windshield for my skidoo. Hopefully I can find one in black because I like the look of it better than the clear windshields.

The paint for my sled was skidoo yellow 1984. I have a can of sun yellow by rustoleum but I think you may be right the marigold yellow looks to be closer.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I’m not quite sure to be honest. From what I have seen in advertisements when the skidoo came on the market in 84 the windshields were smoked with a black tint or clear. But when you google SS25s a lot of people have black windshields on them, maybe they got a windshield from another sled like a late 80s formula or a safari.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts