Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
on the 92 arctic cat 550ext i replaced the cdi box, the external coil. and i took the stator out and cleaned it. i tested the wires and have voltage out of three of them and the fourth one nothing. help me, vacation time is running out and i want to ride!!!!!! [V][V]

·
Registered
12 Posts
did u replace the plugs just to be sure? Could be bad plugs. I there points on the new snowmobiles? Could be that too. I'm new to snowmobiles but know a little about quads.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
alright update here. heres what i did. i have taken the sled apart down to the stator and have removed it cleaned all the contacts. put it back together and cleaned the surface of the magnets. i replaced the cdi box with a brand new one. then i replaced the coil pack, also brand new. i have done a voltage test, had volts comming from the wires from the stator to the cdi box, but i have no voltage comming out of the new cdi box. comming out of the stator there are two plugs, one is a four plug and the other is the three plug, with one single black wire. i get voltage from the single one but it is weaker than that voltage out of the three plug. out of the three plug i get a lot of voltage out of two of the three wires. third wire prolly being ground. when i pull the rip cord and whether or not i have the cdi box hooked up (three plug-or-three wires in one plug), the light on the dash light up. (the oil, temp, hand warmer, and high beam light) i have put in 8-10 hours a day playing around with the engine and about 3-4 hours calling places to figure out what to do, no one has been a real help, cause my sled isnt fixed. it ran perfect the year before. when i got the new cylinder on and back together i put the spark plugs on the head with the coil on it, and had a nice blue spark. after it wasnt firing i took the plugs out and had no spark. bought new plugs and still no plugs. but you remember i am getting power in some of the wirre that go to the cdi box and getting no power comming out and its brand new. so if anyone actually reads this, and its long, please leave a helpful response, thanks, mike

·
Registered
133 Posts
I don't have a clue what the stator on that particular sled looks like BUT... Does the 3 wire plug hook to the cdi box? Whats up with the 4 plug? Sounds to me like your lighting coil is working fine but your ignition coil isn't. Does the stator have two coils?

Have you tried it with the chassis wiring taken out of the equasion. Mabey something is grounding out the ignition.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts