Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know just enough about snow machines to get me in trouble, so please forgive me if I sound clueless: I am. I bought a used 97 Indy trail with a 500 liquid cooled motor, and after a few hundred miles, I spun a connecting rod bearing on the crank. It was cheaper for me buy a used 440 liquid cooled here in town than to ship my crank off, have the bearings pressed on and off, buy all the replacement parts, etc. I finally got the motor back in, but it bogs down when you punch it. If you start slowly, the RPM's come up fine until just after the clutch engages, then it bogs down until it picks up some speed. After it finally gets going it tops out at about 55 MPH. If I'm in deep powder, forget it, I never get up enough speed; it just stays bogged down, even with it wide open. It's like I don't have any torque at the low/middle end of the power band. Do I need to make adjustments to my carbs to compensate for the smaller motor? Could this be a timing issue?

·
Registered
227 Posts
Do you have the 440 in or a rebuilt 500? If the 440 is in, you'll need to do some clutch work.

·
Registered
975 Posts
I'm with sled dog on this... too righ runnin

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Rejet your carbs to a smaller size jet. It should start to wake up when you get close to the right size. Keep a close eye on your plugs to get a nice light brown color. Once you have your engine sorted then come back and ask about your clutch if it's still not running right.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Chelly, are you using the carbs & primary clutch from the 500 on the new 440? The airbox? The exhaust? If so, then you're going to need to adjust / change those accordingly. Call any Polaris shop and ask them about what the difference is between your '97 500 Liquid and whatever year that 440 Liquid is on ALL of those parts. Since you've gone the 440 route, I would put all the 440 parts on that so it runs correctly - especially the airbox & exhaust. You can adjust the carbs to work pretty easily. Check to see what clutch setup that 440 is supposed to have & compare with what you have.

Let us know.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts