Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I am replacing my sliders on my machine. I think thats what its called. Its between the track and the metal guide it runs on. They are graphite and 13.00 a piece CAN.

Anyways, Just wondering what steps I should take to replace them. My old ones are pretty well none existant. Do I just drop the track suspension and replace them. Or do I just stretch the track down a bit. ??

It is on a 1989 Yamaha Enticer 400 LT. If that helps ya.

Thnx
Giger

·
Registered
11,943 Posts
You will have to drop the suspention down in the back and slide the track off of the skid. You will have to losen the track to get it off. After that you wil have to remove 2 bolts, one on each rail, in the front. Slide the old ones off, clean it up, put new ones on, put bolts back in and put everything back together.

Vote for Snowmobile Fanatics.com

·
Registered
31 Posts
i just did mine last night and did not have to do all that now i dont know about the older sled but my viper all i had to do was lift the rear end up and loosen the track there should be a phillips head screw up toward the front HEAT THE RAIL ALITTLE the screw comes with lock tight on it . line the holes with your track and pull them out and slide the new ones in it took me a hammer and chizzel to get them started but once you get them out the rear a little grab the slide with vise grips and pull as hard as you can .

smoke it if you got it

·
Registered
125 Posts
Ever tried to replace the slides on a Safari?

Mine wrap up around the skid and bolt down through. Only way to work on it is to drop the skid from under the machine and take it out .. even then it's hell getting the slides back on .. ever try bending that shit, and putting the bolt in and getting it started into the nut???

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
geez, when i put new ones on the xtra 10 i put in my sled, it was simple, but prolly because the skid was up in the bench. i know on polaris, you usually have to cut the new slides down to the same size as the old to get that bolt up front on the rail that holds the slides on, to line back up. otherwise you can loosen the track up, and try to take your slides off through the track window, and put the new ones on the same way.

1993 xlt sp 580
xtra 10 suspension

·
Registered
266 Posts
I've had good luck taking them out through the window. Spray WD40 all along the slider, wait till it gets soaked in. Loosen the track, take out the screw and start tapping toward the rear with a small hammer . When it starts to protrude from the rear, put a vice grip on it and have a helper pull while you tap, and out they come. Don't beat up the rails with the hammer.Cut the new slide the same length. Wipe the rail clean put some WD40 on the rail and slide the new one on as far as you can.Put a block of wood on the end and lightly, repeat, lightly tap it home.readjust the track and take the sled out and temper the new slides by riding a mile and parking the sled in loose snow to cool it for 5 min.Repeat this 4 or 5 times and you will get far more life out of them.

Spaceman
Mean Green Racing
Elyria, Ohio

·
Registered
125 Posts
That really works? That's a great time spaceman .. Have to keep that in mind for next time I change mine. Thanks!!

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>Originally posted by spaceman17:

I've had good luck taking them out through the window. Spray WD40 all along the slider, wait till it gets soaked in. Loosen the track, take out the screw and start tapping toward the rear with a small hammer . When it starts to protrude from the rear, put a vice grip on it and have a helper pull while you tap, and out they come. Don't beat up the rails with the hammer.Cut the new slide the same length. Wipe the rail clean put some WD40 on the rail and slide the new one on as far as you can.Put a block of wood on the end and lightly, repeat, lightly tap it home.readjust the track and take the sled out and temper the new slides by riding a mile and parking the sled in loose snow to cool it for 5 min.Repeat this 4 or 5 times and you will get far more life out of them.

Spaceman
Mean Green Racing
Elyria, Ohio[/quote]

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
personally i find it easier to take the suspension out of the sled and put them on. It makes it a lot easier and it dosent take very long to do.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Have you taken out an Arctic sus. with TSL its not the easiest thing in the world. Although as a side note on the Arctic, the use of a small ratchet srap makes it a whole lot easier.

Spaceman
Mean Green Racing
Elyria, Ohio

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Excellent info guys, I went and purchased them yesterday. $32.00 CAN. Not to bad, and they are the graphite ones. Im going to try the WD40 method. Since I dont have much of the old sliders left it shouldn't be hard to remove them.

Giger

·
Registered
125 Posts
I've never heard of graphite slide shoes .. are they any good? Mine are the plain old teflon/plastic ...

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
All I know is they were $3 more a piece. The guy says they last longer than the normal ones. For that price why not.

Giger

·
Registered
502 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>Originally posted by gigerous:

All I know is they were $3 more a piece. The guy says they last longer than the normal ones. For that price why not.

Giger

[/quote]

The three dollars is not a big deal, but your dealer is blowing smoke up your ass. Through racing, we have tried many of the so-called snake oils, ie, graphite hy-fax, or sliders as you call them, teflon inserts hy-fax, treated, non treated. After all the testing we found that you can take a pair of OEM hy-fax, drill them or groove them and then go out and get them hot almost to the point of sticking then quickly cool them down. its an old racer trick and it works better than any other thing you have heard of.

Also have you ever tried to change hy-fax on a sno-pro at a race? inbetween heats? with 5 minutes to spare?

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
man, my sled really likes to steal my money. I have a 91 safari le. I bought it used last year and so for i have had to, replace the throttle cable, replace a piston, and now the sliders. I was told that it would cost 250$ is that right?????

·
Registered
125 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>Originally posted by SledHead:

man, my sled really likes to steal my money. I have a 91 safari le. I bought it used last year and so for i have had to, replace the throttle cable, replace a piston, and now the sliders. I was told that it would cost 250$ is that right?????

[/quote]

If you have to replace the entire rear skid .. $250 is prolly not bad . if you just need to replace the shoes *long plastic/teflon runners* then someone is taking you for a ride.

I bought a set for my safari this winter and the were like $17 each.

Installation is another thing though .. you're in for a time changing those I can tell ya!!

·
Registered
47 Posts
I know a guy that swears by heating newly installed slides with a propane torch untill a shiny glaze forms on the surface (with skid on bench) He claims they last twice as long using this method anyone heard of this?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well, My sliders are on. I didn't know you had to replace them. Actually I kinda wondered why a piece of black plastic was coming off beside the track. I just cut it off and never thought anything of it. DOH!! Well, I didn't have any slider on parts of my track area where the sliders go. And because of that. I now have 5 guides and 5 track clips cut. It is not connected at that point. I mean, the sled is still drivable BUT I wont be going deep into the bush by myself. Anyways, the sliders went on ok. BUT what a bitch to take out the piece in the center. If any of you have an older yamaha (87-91) or so. You will know how the slider is shaped in the center. GOOFY. Anyways 1 hour later on one side and we got it off. Propane torches and all. I wish it was like my buddys artic cat. His are kinda U shaped and go on easy.

Thats all my info guys. Thnx for the help. And the WD-40 does help.

Cheers,
Giger

1 - 18 of 18 Posts