Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went riding today up around soaptstone (if anyone knows where that is it). Snow was alot better than last time out or at least there are less rocks in this area. Rode mostly trails in the morning. The 4stroke has a really cool consistant pull to it. A little half second hesitation when you giver but then constantly keeps pulling and never levels off in power. Had to go back to the trailer because Mark's M7 burnt a whole tank of oil in a short order, filled it up and lasted the rest of the day for some reason. Then we went out boondocking and found some real good powder.

I started to get pretty tired about 2PM and could tell due to how I was riding. Got stuck like 5 times in a matter of 15 minutes. I did however have a real nice save a short time before that. Come out of the trees onto the trail and over shoot and am heading straight down hill into a ravine. I stop and ponder the situation wheather or not to turn it around then by hand or just giver and hope to side hill out of it. Just hammered on the throttle and turned into a side hill and carved back up on the trail, let up on the throttle and my glove got caught launching me up hill of the trail again. Get situatated above the trail and going to carve back down to it, well the damn glove caught the throttle again pushing me through it down hill. Got back on the trail though. The guys beside me said it looked pretty impressive and thought for sure they would be digging me out of the creek.

Just some random pics.

[attachment=52500]

[attachment=52501]

[attachment=52502]

[attachment=52503]

[attachment=52504]

Attachments

·
Registered
5,400 Posts
Nice! So how fast is it?

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by Triple650Indy
[br]Nice! So how fast is it?
No idea. Mountain sleds aren't real fast machines and I didn't have time or space to wind it out

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
It looks like you have a lot of snow now.

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by ArcticCat1
[br]It looks like you have a lot of snow now.
Nope. Still going across wondering how much this is going to hurt me or cost me. It was alot better than the last time I went up though.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
How good do they carve? I would think with them being heavier they would be harder to throw around although yamaha has some gnarly engineering going on over there. I can't wait to try out the powder special, just got the engine together today.

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This is the first time I have carved in any real snow. It seems alright to throw around but have little to compare it too.

·
Administrator
13,092 Posts
Originally posted by ACG
[br]
No idea. Mountain sleds aren't real fast machines and I didn't have time or space to wind it out
Get with it turbo, we need exact speeds pronto. Also you need to dyno it and post the numbers. Then we need graphs depicting wind resistance due to handlebar positioning in relevance to windshield angle. Perhaps if you shim the right ski .0001" you can go .0000025 mph faster.

Jeez. What kind of snowmobiler are you? You should be getting every ounce of power and speed possible out of that unit.

·
Registered
5,400 Posts
Originally posted by Polaris-Man
[br]
Originally posted by ACG
[br]
Get with it turbo, we need exact speeds pronto. Also you need to dyno it and post the numbers. Then we need graphs depicting wind resistance due to handlebar positioning in relevance to windshield angle. Perhaps if you shim the right ski .0001" you can go .0000025 mph faster.

Jeez. What kind of snowmobiler are you? You should be getting every ounce of power and speed possible out of that unit.
LMAO!

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Vectors are really nice sleds. I demo rode one 2 years ago and I was impressed by it.

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
polaris-man that was an awesome post. looks like you had fun. send that snow my way

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
ACG, why don't you start sharing some of that snow!!! Pics look great, glad to hear you haven't trashed it yet...lol Looks like you all had a great time. and hopefully the rest of us get to do some riding soon!

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
wow that a lot of snow wish we had some of it[V]

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
When you talked about the hesitation it had, was that something a clutch kit could fix or is it a four stroke thing?

Sounds like you had a blast. The snow looks awesome out there!

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Originally posted by Intimdtr77
[br]When you talked about the hesitation it had, was that something a clutch kit could fix or is it a four stroke thing?

Sounds like you had a blast. The snow looks awesome out there!
I'm not sure. It wasn't a real noticeable hesitation. It was just enough to notice.

·
Registered
6,044 Posts
Nice sled and pics.
Looks like you are getting some good riding out of it this season.
Good man.
It will get easier as you get more used to the mountain riding terrain and type of snow too.

As for that initial hessitation, is it every time you hit it? or just off of idle?
If it's just off of idle, then it's an easy fix, go a little heavier on your primary spring.

If it's every time you hit it, then your fuel mix is a bit off.
Lean is bog and rich is barble.
I think you are fuel injected though, and I don't know how to adjust the F.I. Yamahas, so that's about as far as I can help you on that one.

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Originally posted by Student Driver
[br]Nice sled and pics.
Looks like you are getting some good riding out of it this season.
Good man.
It will get easier as you get more used to the mountain riding terrain and type of snow too.

As for that initial hessitation, is it every time you hit it? or just off of idle?
If it's just off of idle, then it's an easy fix, go a little heavier on your primary spring.

If it's every time you hit it, then your fuel mix is a bit off.
Lean is bog and rich is barble.
I think you are fuel injected though, and I don't know how to adjust the F.I. Yamahas, so that's about as far as I can help you on that one.
The Vector is carburated. And it is not a huge bog or anything. It is just a half second (or less) delay from when you giver to when it really starts pulling. No spitting and sputtering, no bogging, just a little delay. Probably more of a clutching issue than an engine issue if it is even a problem at all. Don't even notice it in the powder, just when we were on the trail.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I have an 05 rage I know that feeling, in my opinion the secondary clutch is a little slow Pioneer Performance has roller kit that looks nice I don't know of any one that has one but I am thinking of buying it.

·
Registered
6,044 Posts
Could be the clutching I guess.
A small hesitation is almost certainly a small lean condition though.
Maybe 1/8 turn on a fuel screw on each carb.
Bog is lean.
If it were clutching, you should hear the motor come up while feeling nothing.
If the motor has the slight bog, then it sounds more like a slight lean condition.

If it's not bad,
that's OK, just some thoughts.

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
man what i would give to have snow like that.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts