Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well i have found something that worked awesome for me on my plastic it was real oxidized hazzy looking from being washed so much im not sure but i got this stuff its made by 3m its called platic polish restores optical clarity part #051131 can be used on any color plastic is says safely mine is a red 400ex i used a 3M plastic cleaner first and then buffed that and then the plastic polish after that 3 times on the polish put it on like wax rubbing in circular motion let dry to a haz and then buff with a viva paper towel i must say i was amazed this crap really worked awesome and it was only $6 bucks for the cleaner and $6 bucks for the polish so a total of 12 dollers and some tax i got it at a local auto parts store but this store mostly sells auto body stuff like paint so i would imagine if a place carrys auto paint they would have its well worth the money i have to go get some more for future purposes lol

·
Registered
187 Posts
Definately sounds like something i want to try... (I'll try anything that requires less work than that other stuff, LOL).. Thanx for the info.. gonna try some next week

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah just make sure u use the cleaner cause at first i didnt think it was doing anything either 3m cleaner first the cleaner dont seem like its working cause it comes out hazzy lookin but i found out then go back over the cleaner with some vivas then do the same with the polish rub it in good it doesnt look like its working at first but let the polish sit for a few like 5 mins after u applied like 3 coats then buff it with some viva paper towels cause i didnt think it was workin at first but the more i worked at it the better it started to look well it worked for me didnt take out the deep scratches but hey i got my original deep red back and a wet look shine i was pretty surprised good luck to u man

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Lars,

Did the 3m stuff seem to take out minor scratches? If so, seems to me, one could wet sand some of the deeper scratches and then use the 3m cleaner/polisher to buff everything out. Hmmm....

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
naw it didnt take to many of the deep scratches out but then again i only spent maybe 45 mins for the whole wheelr and it shines now wow but the cleaner does say on the back that it will take minor scratches out i just didnt want to take a chance on sanding it and duling it mine was pretty scratched up acually just getting that original deep red back in mine and givin it some shine was a big improvement but i notice its kinda tricky stuff u have to be patient at first it didnt seem like it was working but the more i played with it i started to figure it out and i thought to myself wow this stuff does work my plastic doesnt look brand new but what a difference just getting the oxidation off it and only cost me 12 bucks verses new platic big cash$$$$$$$$ well i dont know what kind of luck u guys will have but i like it good luck just always see people trying to get some shine back into there plastic and i thought i would share what worked for me pretty good

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Hey Lars,

Thanks for the reply! But dude, use a period or two [:X] my head is spinning like a top after reading that sentance!?!?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts