Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys/gals,
i am installing an xtra-12 suspension in my wifes sled.
anyone happen to have measurements for where to drill holes for the cross shafts?

thx,
thegeeze

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
Sorry,This question has been asked many times before on here. Nobody has been able to answer it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Just wondering, what are you putting the xtra-12 into?(machine and year)

·
Registered
48 Posts
yea, i'm actually looking for an xtra-10 for my 500 classic, I want to do the opposite of what you are doing, going from xtra-12 to xtra-10

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
From what I have hears the Xtra-12 is a little tippy and not that much better than the Xtra-10.
Before you go ahead and swap skids, you may consider the Position Sensative shock conversion for the Xtra-10. One of my friend has a M-10 suspension and he was suprised at how good my Xtra-10 was with the PPS Shock.

Here is some info on the PPS shock:
http://www.off-road.com/snowmobile/project/pps/pps.html

Here is where you can get the kit:
http://www.mcbperformance.com/polaris.html

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
The xtra12 excells at trail cruising. It can soak up the bumps up to 55mph with the best of 'em. At high speed ditch banging, is where the limitations of the suspension become more evident, as the skid tends to bottom out easy. The xtra10 does better at the ditch banging, but isn't nearly as nice for trail crusing.

Unless your wife is an agressive rider, I would think the xtra12 would be a nice suspension for her.

Sorry, I'm of no help in the conversion though. I'm just here for moral supprort[8D]

/snofan/../images/users/pigboy/12-05-020013.jpg

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
500classic... i'll be getting the machine out of storage in the next week or two. i'll measure the holes for you if you need me to. could you do the same for me?

Ace... did the pps mod already. my lady only weighs 100lbs and i can't dial it soft enough.

pigboy... nice pic. with her weight and her 'non'agressive style, i don't think bottoming will be a problem.

thx guys,
thegeeze & geezette

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
"Ace... did the pps mod already. my lady only weighs 100lbs and i can't dial it soft enough."

In that case I'm not sure if the Xtra-12 is going help, either. Snowmobile suspensions are designed for a 175lb. rider weight. Have you gone to the lighter springs( which you have already probably done) and had the shocks revalved? You might have to do that to the Xtra-12 too. Sorry, not trying to talk you out of the Xtra-12 or anything- just trying to save you from some more headaches and work.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Originally posted by 98indy500classic
[br]yea, i'm actually looking for an xtra-10 for my 500 classic, I want to do the opposite of what you are doing, going from xtra-12 to xtra-10
If I read this right he wants to remove the xtra-12 and install an xtra-10..

Not sure if that's going to solve your problem either.. as Ace suggestions lighter springs and revalve the shocks.. if haven't done so alreay..

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
<quote>
Snowmobile suspensions are designed for a 175lb. rider weight. Have you gone to the lighter springs( which you have already probably done) and had the shocks revalved?
</quote>

(me 150 lbs./ her 100 lbs.)
The only time I ever bottomed was on a six day backpacking trip while carrying 4gals. of oil.
The only thing I haven't tried is to eliminate the coupling and installing heavier springs. I'm trying the xtra-12 because it is known for bottoming out, and should be easier to dial in for a plush ride.

thx, thegeeze

1 - 12 of 12 Posts