Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a new to the site, so please go easy on me.

I have a 2005 Polaris Trail Touring. Went up to the lake last weekend for some ice fishing, and had trouble starting the sled (first time for the season). Machine would not fire, so I started poking around under the hood, pulled and cleaned plugs, etc. Long story short, I finally got the machine started, but in the process, the reverse light stayed lit, even when NOT in reverse. I decided to just ride with the light on, and then later noticed that it is now completely dead.

Now for the stupid part. When I was poking around underneath the hood, near the back of the ignition switch, I found a white wire that was not connected to anything. I saw an opening in the back of my ignition switch, and plugged it in.
Do not know if it was a coincidence or not, but shortly after is when the machine finally fired up.

Upon later inspection, I found that there is also a yellow wire that does not lead to anything (in the same area). Finally, there is an untapped female connection with a black and brown wire.

Soooo, my question is, does anyone know what the un-used yellow, white, black and brown wires are for, and, is it possible that I just fryed the reverse illuminator (I think it is LED), by plugging in the white wire at the back of the ignition switch? I should also note that the reverse does work.

Sorry for the long post, but any help would be much appreciate. I am trying to save a few bucks by trying to get this fixed myself.

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
The black and brown wires with the female end by the ignition switch are for the addition of a tether cord or other form of a kill switch. Nothing is supposed to be plugged into them from new. They should just be hanging lose there until they are need for a switch.

I am not sure about the white and yellow wires. They could possibly be your problem as to why the light stayed on. I don't think the light is LED on those sleds but another member should know forsure.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
driftpounder said:
The black and brown wires with the female end by the ignition switch are for the addition of a tether cord or other form of a kill switch. Nothing is supposed to be plugged into them from new. They should just be hanging lose there until they are need for a switch.

I am not sure about the white and yellow wires. They could possibly be your problem as to why the light stayed on. I don't think the light is LED on those sleds but another member should know forsure.

Thanks driftpounder.
Re the bulb, I pulled up a parts list, and for the reverse indicator, it just lists the indicator itself (for $7), but no cooresponsing bulb. That led me to believe that it was an LED.....

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
Not a problem.

It could be LED, I am not sure I have never had one burn out on me before.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts