Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1996 XLT Special with reverse. This Year when i put it into reverse i hear a grinding and it moves a bit. The sled works fine going forward. I have checked the reverse cable and that works and checked the crankcase oil level and adjusted the tension on the chain. It still makes the sound. I can turn the secondary clutch and the track does move when its in reverse so i have no idea whats going on. Does anybody have any ideas on what i can do?

·
Registered
520 Posts
Should be an adjustment for the cable near the chaincase. try taking a little slack out of the cable ( 2 or 3 turns ). Aslo check the bolts that hold the adj bracket onto the chaincase they will come loose.

·
Registered
490 Posts
^^^^^^what he says, its just not fully engaging, tighten the cable up untill it doese.

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
watch those adjustment's closely,my friend put his on the same year xlt and munched it ,had to buy some new part's

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have tried that and the cable has no slack what so ever. I dont have much more addjustment left on the cable so i think a new cable is what i need too but i cant find one no matter where i look. I really want to get this working cause im not gona ride this sled with out reverse cause its too damn heavy!!!!

·
Registered
520 Posts
Put a pair of vise grips on lower arm of reverse lever comming out of chain case .Pull up to engage gears have a friend try and move sled backwards now that you have full engagement. If it still makes grinding sounds better remove chaincase cover and inspect revese gear ( remove reverse gear and look at inside contact area where it meets the other gear )contact area will be rounded . Or take a good look at the 2 prongs that engage the revese gear they can also wear down. Doesnt sound like a cable problem more like gears not meshing.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yamarx1 i tried that this afternoon with no luck. I get maybe a half an inch movement in the lever on the chaincase. I guess ill have to pull the chaincase.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
YEah you have to pull the cover. MY dads did the same thing and he ran it for the rest of the weekend and it wiped out all the gears.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well i took the chaincase cover off and found that the reverse gear has some wear on it but all the other gears are great. I reinstalled everything and adjusted it the best i could and it still grinds. The only thing i can think is that the shifting fork is not engageing the reverse all the way. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
520 Posts
you looked at the inside of the revese gear ? Where it contacts the drive gear. With the cover off look at the 2 pins that move the gear they are round when new. Have seen them wear flat. If everthing looks good you might want to check the bearing on the drive axle while you have the cover off.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well i still have this problem even after replaceing the reverse gear, chain, another reverse gear and the pins on the shift fork (they were worn flat). If kinda worked the first time i put it into reverse but then after that i still got the grinding noise! Any more ideas?

·
Registered
957 Posts
I'd check out the cable...could be stretcching...The problem most likely is that the fork that pulls out the reverse gear wont pull it out far enough to engage it....the cable is shot, or you still haven't adjusted it to pull far enough out.

Disreadrd if it's the cable=less style mechanical reverse

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What should the slack be on the cable? Where could i get a new cable for it? I would like to get this reverse working as snow is just around the corner.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I had to replace the reverse cable on my 1990 Indy Trail last fall before the riding season because the ferrule at the handlebar end cracked. I was forcing it into gear and the gears weren't quite lined up to mesh (OOPS lesson learned)

The local polaris dealer had a rather tough time finding the actual part number. I think he had to call Polaris. He ended up finding it on a parts fiche for a 1994 or 1993 Indy Classic or Trail Deluxe. Anyway, special order the cable cost $43.00 (OUCH)! I installed it and adjusted the preload until I had smooth shifting into reverse. I found that if the gears are grinding after you shift into reverse you have to take up additional slack out of the cable.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Would you have the part # for that cable, cause i think that is the last thing that it could be as the cable dosent look the greatest any way.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Could the grinding be a bad bearing in the chain case? From what you say, it doesn't sound like the gear is getting munched, so I'm wondering if you have a bad bearing...

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
the orginal gears were chewed up bad. and there was shavings in the oil befor i changed the gears. now its the same noise and there was some shavings in the new oil so i know its something with the gears or cable.

·
Registered
353 Posts
If you still need the cable part number I can call my dealer, they have a computer system that tracks customer purchases. Let me know if you need the number, and I'll give them a call.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Hey zeroburn, try ronnies.com also, you can pull up the microfiche see what you need & order it right on line, there service is great, cause I've read all the posts & I can't believe your still having problems...I thought everyone covered about everything.Keep us posted...I'd be interested in finding out how you fixed or even what it is thats causin you the headache.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Hey I was able to get that part number for you. Check this parts blow up Item #23 (PN#:7080428)

This part blow up is actually from a 1995 RXL Touring. It was the only sled I could find between 1995 and up that came stock with your same chaincase and cable. The evolved style sleds had the plastic handlebars with a different cable lever assembly.

Soo... If your XLT is a wedge this is the reverse cable you need for it. Ronnies.com has them in stock for like $39.99. Here is the link:

http://216.37.204.202/polaris_oem/PolarisSnow.asp?Type=13&A=27&B=30

1 - 20 of 28 Posts