Snowmobile Fanatics banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
well ill order the new cable, but in the mean time, i rechecked everything and when i went to start the sled the recoil cable broke so now i have to fix that too! It seems i cant win, lol

·
Registered
146 Posts
I would count the cord breaking at home a win rather that breaking on the trail. On second thought I would call that good or even great luck.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Very true, CamInuvik. I fixed the recoil and now am back to the same issues with the reverse, so ill get the new cable and hope that helps out but still if its the cable that would mean that the problem is adjustment.

Ill explain what happens when i shift it in to reverse. I let the sled warm up and reach a nice idel, then i shift it into reverse and it engages fine, then when i throttle up to engage the primary clutch and the jackshaft gets power i get a grinding noise from the chaincase, then if shift back to forward, i have to go past the primary clutch engagement point once for it to shift back into forward. I think that is werid, I know i can run it fine going forward with out a problem.

Hope this helps some of the experts here.

·
Registered
353 Posts
It still sounds to me like the sliding gear isn't messhing with the small gear in the center of the chain case. When mine was out of adjustment. I'd put it in reverse bring the rpm up till the clutch grabs and it would grind the gears. Then I'd flip the lever back to forward and sometimes it would take a couple blips of the throttle for the sliding gear to pop back over and the track to spin forward.

I'll try to measure the amount of cable movement there is on my setup when I shift it to reverse. This will give you and idea as to how much slack has to be out of it for gear engagement

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Just wanted to update, im still having this issue. I have no clue what is going on with it. I think when i change the track ill play with it some more. Does anybody have any other sugestions?

·
Registered
7 Posts
do you have a digital camera? if so, post a picture of the chaincase exposed. ALSO, make sure you check the bottom gear bearing, if it has any play, REPLACE IT. it will cause slack while in reverse, but not as much in forward

·
Registered
556 Posts
alot of XLT's seem to have this problem, my friend and his cousin (my friend has a 94 and his cuz has a 93). I hear it alot at the polaris dealer also. good thing mym moms sled hasnt had that happen...yet.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 99 Indy 500 classic with this same issue and have done everything suggested.. Did you ever figure it out?

21 - 28 of 28 Posts