Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey gang, anybody here ever tried running the track backwards on a sled or know someone that has and the effect it had? I know for one that it'll probably throw a monster tail and pull too much snow over the top...was considering trying it with this new track..

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Hook up will be better but braking will suffer.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
i dont think you can, well you could but.. my friend tried it and all the lugs ripped off and the track fell apart. i think it because of the way they make the track

·
Registered
91 Posts
are we talkin about an attack20 track? If so those are commonly ran backwards because of the lug angle and deep snow performance. I don't think you would get any benefit from any other track by doing it.

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
i used to run 96 studs and the track backwards on my zr with the studs its didnt lose any braking distance but did gain a bit on the launch. if its a non studded track the braking will suck because you will be using the round side of the lug for braking and not the flat side as its meant to be.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
I've fun alot of tracks backwards. It seems to help the most on the older style tracks.

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
I have talked to a number people who put their track on backwards, and then after riding once or twice, switched it back. They didn't like the loss of control on braking.

·
Registered
871 Posts
They put the arrows on thr track for a reason just like a motorcycle tire. I would not even try it, it will probably fail faster and offer no benefit

·
Registered
700 Posts
Once a mountain track or long lug track has its lugs start to curl if you reverse it they will break off. On the old indys the lugs were a wedge shape. The sleds drove on the sloped side for more floatation and the flat side was for better braking. We always used to turn them around for better accel and reduced braking. On the newer tracks I dont think its worth your time.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all your input...Don't plan on studding this one, that was what caused the other to come apart...figured it would effect the braking, and didn't want to just do it, what a nightmare that would be in the northwoods trying to switch it back!!!...

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
It can be done, but the track isn't designed to spin that way. My old man tried it on his indy, it worked from about a year, then when he was going WOT across the Chippewa Flowage the track snapped. Amazingly he actually shot a large chunk of track directly the snow flap. He said it made a horrific sound, no accident though...

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
The 1.5" lug truck I had for my XCR had the arrows pointing in the direction to run so the lugs would pick up the most snow as possible for acceleration. It was off of a 2002 or 2003? Pro-X 440. It was 14" wide if that helps anybody. I ran it backwards so I would have the braking advantage of it. I beat that track for over 800 miles and it basically showed no signs of wear at all. Is it possible? Yes it is! Is it a good idea unless you know what you're doing, or have a reason for it? Most likely not! Hope this helps.

·
Registered
364 Posts
we drag racers do it all the time

·
Registered
335 Posts
For everyone with the older sleds. On a newer sled when you hit the brakes it will fish tail. So even if you reverse the track it will do the same thing. Maybe i should just be telling butcher boy this.

·
Registered
1 Posts
All the comments on accelerating and stopping are true. But in my opinion. Most people who do this have deep lug tracks. (Mountain sleds). If you ask me the only reason they actually do it is because the way the lugs curve back. When you reverse the track they point forward causing a huge wall of snow behind the machine. Iv noticed personally anyone who does this. For some stupid reason when they are driving they are always looking behind them because they are I guess amused by it. Mean while anyone behind them are getting pelted with huge chunks of snow. That's my take on flipping a track. Hope this helps

·
Super Moderator
11,680 Posts

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
if you drive backwards a lot.....go for it

1 - 19 of 19 Posts