Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well here it is another sledding year and another death on the 'Great Sacandaga Lake'. Every year someone dies on the lake. Every year! Sometimes more than one. I have lived near the lake my whole life and no matter if it is summer or winter, you have to respect the lake. This is a man-made resevoir that is about 5-6 miles on one side and about 9-10 miles on the other side and about 1-2 miles wide. There are islands, rock sholes, stumps, mounds of dirt, anything you can think of. Saturday morning, 2:30 am, some guy who was drinking most of the day with his 2 buddies went off on his own, flying through 'stump ally' at about 80 plus, jumped a ravine and hit the other side. Dead. I ride, I drink, I go fast too. But I do all these in moderation and when the time and place are right to fly. Wake the hell up people and think about your actions. Some people might say that I dont care about this guy or his family. Wrong. I care about every sledder out there, and the poor fireman who have to clean up after an accident like this. I just wish people would use their God given common sense. Take care and ride safe guys.

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
one more GOOD reason for zero tolerance. this hurts all of us because it is the only snowmobiling stuff that makes the news, you never here that the mcgregor lions built the first gymnasium and track for the high school. they raised half the money from the radar runs. or any good stuff, people we need to stop the drinking and riding, that wont happen until we stand up to each other, you want to get drunk do it at home or the hotel when you are done riding. PERIOD.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I agree with Madcow on zero tolerance. Drinking in moderation before riding is only okay for those that recognize moderation. Not everyone does. When we ride, it is usually as a family - and I certainly do not want the life of my wife and kids riding on some drunk's judgment that "I'm okay to ride, I only had a few..."

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
As far as I am concerned any time you hear anything on the news about snowmobiles it's bad news. Like Madcow said you never hear about the good things us snowmobilers do. It's always the negative part. Very one sided. Riley

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
I know what you mean MAYDAZE, It is a little different but we have people die in Avalanches here every year. One year 6 people in one slide. 6' of new snow really steep slopes 40 degree day. (recipe for a slide) Add to that any drinking to diminish your paying attention to conditions and you have dead people.

You can't do things to help support the sport if your dead.

·
Administrator
13,095 Posts
I agree with all that was said above, I don't feel the need to repeat it. But I agree 100%

·
Registered
975 Posts
Diddo! Zero tolerance here where I am and it is strictly enforced. I especially liked the comment by ScottJ about family. It's becoming more and more of a family outing for people and I sure don't want any idiots drunk out there with my kids and wife riding the sleds minding thier own business. If a drunk hit one of my family members....he's wished he was dead! Back to the subject in hand though. That's a shame for the guy and his family. He could've been a father, brother and a son etc. Someone just lost and he paid the price. That's a shame. Take care out there people and have a safe ride.

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
I would really like to see ZERO tollerance. (on alcohol, not speed)

·
Registered
749 Posts
I hear all you guys in maine have lost 9 sledders this year and the records 12. We havan't really been lucky in new brunswick either. we have lsot three. It doesn't help that there is a fucking bar on every corner you come around on the snowmobile trail. Two of our luiqer stores are right beside the trail. Plus doolys and Jr's night club. Thats three bars in 100 feet!!! If anybody here know woodstock,nb then they know where im talking about.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I like my Budweiser.... but THE LAST GODDAM THING I need to do is drink em and go for a beer fogged 100 mph joyride. It may be the LAST THING I do... no more wife,no more baby( in 3 wks) and jesus...what if I took these away from someone else? THINK?

·
Registered
274 Posts
last week, me an buddies were at a bar drinkin, well they were, i dont drink an ride, but i kept sayin u guys are done lets get out of here, and they were pretty drunk by the time we finally left, we were there for like 7 hours we went out side, and 2 out of 5 sleds wouldnt start, lol think it was someone watchin over them, cause we couldnt leave till they both started... they were the two drunkest too, probably something would have happened, cause one was ridin a mod sled, and the other is just a plain idiot lol, well, one started and we had to ride back 30 miles to get the truck and drive back to pick up the other one, everyone made it home safe

·
Registered
312 Posts
ya indyman423, i know what your talking about , all my family are from new Brunswick and lived there al my life ,, and your right about woodstock sems to be 2 bars for every 2 sleds , heehh And it's the same through-out Moncton , shediac , Kouchibouguac, Campbelton ,Bathurst ,etc,,
I've moved to the Outaouais region here across the river from Ottawa , and it's probably worse out here ,, bars at ever couple kms off the snomobile trails. Now i know why there's over 14 patrol officers in only my area.
By the way indyman423, one of those 3 deaths was my girlfriends uncle, who lost control in the trails and got hit by his son that was fallowing him probably to close.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Sorry to hear that. ya got my sympathy. When did you move away? where did you live. Do you know the woodstock area well? We havant had a death in woodstock yet, but we always do.

·
Registered
312 Posts
thanks!
I moved away a couple years back for work ,, cause all my family are fisherman and i chose to get some education instead and headed ou to KY for a couple years then moved back here in the ottawa region ,,,,,but all my family's out there and go back about 4 times a year. I know woodstock pretty good cause i played alot of ball out there, great area.
Hopefully you won't have any deaths this year ,, in your area ,, how much snow you guys got down there?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts