Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey.. could anybody find the rite sized cleats and cleat-bolt thingies to fit my sled? I dunno where to take the measurements, etc from.
Thanx all..
Matt

·
Registered
553 Posts
They should be 10 inch long and cost around $2.25 a cleat. You can get the rivits for about $12.00 a box of 100. Make sure if you use rivits that they are the steel ones for this application. You will need the large sissor type handle rivit gun to do this. Local shop should rent this out to ya cheap.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
2.25 a cleat? How many cleats are on a track usualy? I also saw a website on a diff. thread from Dennis Kirk's website.. they are a Cleat Bolt.. but the w/s isn't working. These bolts are so you don't need a rivet gun.. can't find the damned things.
Matt

·
Registered
553 Posts
How many are you planning on replacing? Your looking at like 5 bolts or rivits per cleat. Will take you awhile if your doing all of them. I have seen the cleats run from 1.90 to 2.25 per cleat. And if you use rivits, you will have to take the skid out or it will be a nightmare getting them on. Unless you only have a couple. I looked your sled up and the 10 inch cleats fit from 75-81 jags.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I have to look at how many I need.. I dunno. Should I just replace them all, or no?

·
Registered
89 Posts
I just saw your sled in the Dennis Kirk catalog for the chart on cleats. They have them and TXC was right, $2.25/cleat. I would use rivots and buy a $20 rivot gun. Pretty easy process. Hardest part is drilling or grinding off the old rivots. I would just replace the broken ones and the ones that are in the worst shape. Just look for the ones that are worn all the way through. For some reason there was always some that seemed to hold up better than others. Then replace them as you go. You will probably want a better sled in a year or two anyway. Unless this is a restore project.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Because these are going to be steel cleats and not aluminum, a hand size pop rivit gun will not work. You will need a big one that has two handles on it like 1 foot long. You should be able to rent a rivit gun like this somewhere.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So in order to remove the old cleats, I have to grind off the old rivets also? Umm.. my best friend also says something about "the thing that the sliders run along are worn out".. I guess it is what keeps the track from going sid-to-side.. know what I mean? Well he says it needs new ones. Where can I get them.. how much.. and is it easy?
Matt

·
Registered
608 Posts
A good quality hand rivet tool will work on steel rivets, it's just hard. But if I was only replacing a few with the track still in the sled I would go that way. They also have hydraulic rivet gun that is quite small and powerful.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok, sounds good.
But does anybody know what I am talking about, regarding the "thing that the sliders run on"?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts