Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im interested in installing handle bar risers on my sled. Im thinking 4-6 inches. I know I will need to get longer throttle cable, do i need brake cable as well.

And whats is the diffucilty of doing this?

·
Registered
639 Posts
Just bout 100% chance u will need a brake line extension

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
It isn't quite a 100% chance, Just take your handlebars off and raise your hanblebars as high as you can until the Brake line and the Throttle is kind of tight and then measure that distance between the bottom of the handlebars to the top of the steering post.

·
Super Moderator
11,684 Posts
What type of sled is the being done on?

Odds are, since you're getting that high, you will need to extend both the brake line and throttle cable. You may have to extend some wires as well. Depending on the sled, you can contact Student Driver here on the site, and he can hook you up with a riser, brake line, and throttle cable.

As far as the complexity of doing it; if you have some mechanical abilities, it's a relatively easy task. If you take everything one step at a time, you will be done in no time.

·
Registered
6,044 Posts
THANK YOU for the recomendation Quinlan. I do REALLY appriciate that.

OK now, with out knowing what sled you are on, I'll give you a basic run down of the process.

Disconect throttle cable from throttle block.
There is an E-clip or C-clip holding it in.

Screw the end of the brake line out of the master cylinder and the other end out of the caliper.
Look at how it's routed so that you can put the longer one in the same.

Disconect the throttle cable from the oiler and from the carbs,
again, look at the routing for the same reason as brake line.

Remove the bar clamp and set bars aside to where the wires will let it sit.

Bolt risers and adapter if needed (don't know what you ride or what kind of riser you are looking at) to top of stearing post or to bar clamp, wich ever is applicable for your machine/risers

Bolt bars to the risers in the position they will be

attach throttle cable to thumb throttle with stock E or C clip.
attach oiler and carb sides of throttle cable.

Adjust OIL SIDE FIRST to where the allignment marks are not quite lined up, but do line up perfectly when free play is taken out of cable, but carbs do not open at all yet.

Now zip tie throttle to grip or have some one hold it in full throttle position while you adjust carb side.
Your rack or carbs should just hit full throttle position when thumb throttle just hits the grip.
This way you will have the propper free play at idle and your micro safety switches will work propperly.

Attach both ends of your brake line accordingly and bleed them just like you would any other hydraulic brake.

Now look at your electricals and extend them one at a time if needed.

Go back and check your throttle cable adjustment on both oiler and carbs BEFORE starting motor.
Make sure that it goes smoothly from idle to full throttle and back.

There you go, it's done
bar risers, brake line, and throttle cable.

·
Super Moderator
11,684 Posts
Anytime Darin. I would have loved to have used your products, but they weren't available at the time. I figure I can do the favor of recommendation since I couldn't purchase them myself.

^ Nice little write-up there as well!

·
Registered
476 Posts
i needed thortle extension and i would need a longer break if i put the pivit all the way down towards me but who wants to ride like that. i have a 4 inch rise and with the pivot it works out to 5 and a half inches. i will need to extend some wires also

·
Registered
764 Posts
ya what kinda sled is this going on?? I just put a new set of bars and a 4 in riser on my 580 ext this year and all i had to do was add a throttle extension, my brake line was able to work. and thats about 6" rise abover stock so.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts