Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i want to carve a little more this year and want to rise my bars for better leverage. but i dont have the cash for throttle/brake extensions. so how high can i go without haveing to extend the cables? im thinking 2-3"? o ya i got a 94 indy 40 polaris thank you in advance

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Just take your handlebars apart and lift them up as high as you can and than just measure the distance from the steering column to the bottom of the handlebars.

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks i think im just gonna go cut a wood black and slip it in to try it.. thanks guys

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
alson on your brake cable follow it from your handlebar down and cut the little ziptie it will allow it to move a little more.

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
I just installed 2" risers on my sled, i probably could have gotten away with 3", but the brake cable would have been too tight.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
You can always cut zip ties to gain more slack.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Ive got a 4 1/2" articulating riser on my sled and I didnt have to go with a longer throttle or longer brake line.
Your Indy 400 might be different though.
I dont think taller bars are going to give you more leverage though. All taller bars let you do is stand up while riding without being all hunched over the bars.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
I went 5" and could of went 6".

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Originally posted by Octane
[br]Ive got a 4 1/2" articulating riser on my sled and I didnt have to go with a longer throttle or longer brake line.
I dont think taller bars are going to give you more leverage though. All taller bars let you do is stand up while riding without being all hunched over the bars.
u better think b4 posting that is the point of taller bars is for more leverage. its basic physics ie risers are like levers the bigger teh lever teh easier it is to pull over or carve. you stand up while riding to get your weihgt higher above the sled to manuver and also when you are standing up you have more control of the machine. you may not notice that much of a differnece with 2 inch rise but once u get above that it does make a difference

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
^^^^correct. im gonna go cut some zipties and see how far i can get away with..but would i need to extend both cables?? or would i get lucky andf only need to extend one
??? which cable is usually longer?

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Originally posted by roughrider99
u better think b4 posting that is the point of taller bars is for more leverage. its basic physics ie risers are like levers the bigger teh lever teh easier it is to pull over or carve. you stand up while riding to get your weihgt higher above the sled to manuver and also when you are standing up you have more control of the machine. you may not notice that much of a differnece with 2 inch rise but once u get above that it does make a difference
Yikes, I make a few negative (but honest) comments about Yamahas and now I get all this hostility. [B)]
I can kinda see what you mean, but if you want leverage I think that bar hooks and a mountain strap would give you far more leverage than taller bars.

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
Originally posted by roughrider99
[br]
Originally posted by Octane
[br]Ive got a 4 1/2" articulating riser on my sled and I didnt have to go with a longer throttle or longer brake line.
You better think before you post also.....

Not everyone has tall bars for carving..... 1.. I have them because it is the only way my sled comes....2 I am 6' tall and always hit my knees.....3 It is more comfortable to have them higher, I don't feel hunched over.

I have never carved or do I plan to. If you truly want more leverage you get wider bars not taller.

·
Registered
4,299 Posts
Originally posted by Luke68Polaris
[br]^^^^correct. im gonna go cut some zipties and see how far i can get away with..but would i need to extend both cables?? or would i get lucky andf only need to extend one
??? which cable is usually longer?
Usually the brake cable is a little longer but not by too much, I'd recommend measuring with a wood block like you said earlier. You can probably go about 2.5" without any extensions, but any higher and you will probably end up stretching the cables. You should also put your sled on a good track stand and start it with the wood block in place and then turn the skis all the way to each side to make sure that your throttle cable doesn't stretch too far and rev the engine while your turning

1 - 14 of 14 Posts