Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. Got a quick couple of questions for you. I have a 600 RMK that I use mainly for beating on and it finally blew up on me last weekend. It kind of surprised me because I figured the motor would run forever after all the hell that I have put it through, but the crank bearings gave out. So now I am in the market for a new (or used) crankshaft. Just wondering if anyone out there knows which cranks witll swap into this crankcase? I seem to remember something about being able to swap the 700 cranks in to the these motors as a replacement. Are there more? This is an 01 600 if that makes any difference. Thanks- Nate

·
Registered
4,299 Posts
Big block 600 and 700's shared a crankshaft (68mm stroke). But if your sled has VES then it is a small block and you'll need to find a 600 smallblock/VES crank (64mm stroke).

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply powersledder. Mine is a non-ves 600 so I can look for a 600 or 700 non ves crank to replace it, eh? Let the search begin. Probably be better off foinding a used engine at this point. Gonna cost me a pretty penny by the time I get done replacing the crank, pistons, and one jug. (not to mention the rebuild kit itself) GRRR

·
Registered
4,299 Posts
If you're looking to replace piston, crankshaft and a jug you might want to just look for a whole engine. Last spring I almost picked up a whole 700 Non-VES for $400, I bet you could easily find a whole 600/700 or even 800 for $1000 or less. And as long as you know you are buying from a reputable person you won't have to worry about going through the rebuilding process.

·
Registered
848 Posts
powersledder said:
If you're looking to replace piston, crankshaft and a jug you might want to just look for a whole engine. Last spring I almost picked up a whole 700 Non-VES for $400, I bet you could easily find a whole 600/700 or even 800 for $1000 or less. And as long as you know you are buying from a reputable person you won't have to worry about going through the rebuilding process.
Agreed. I recently priced out a crank for my sled and it was $950 new, remanned about 600, but we couldn't find a remanned one or buy a new one.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah I am in the search process. A remanned crank for this sled will be around $400 and the topend rebuild kit will be around $270. It will be pretty close to the same price if I rebuild the engine as it would be for me to buy a complete used engine, but at least if i do the rebuild i know what is going into it. (and what to expect out of it) If I can find a used engine in the $400-600 range I might just buy it. KNow anyone who's got a 600 or 700 motor for sale?

·
Registered
741 Posts
id look for a new engine like stated above. you could also part out your old engine and make some of that money back or use it for spare parts. good luck

·
Registered
848 Posts
redwolf_92 said:
yeah I am in the search process. A remanned crank for this sled will be around $400 and the topend rebuild kit will be around $270. It will be pretty close to the same price if I rebuild the engine as it would be for me to buy a complete used engine, but at least if i do the rebuild i know what is going into it. (and what to expect out of it) If I can find a used engine in the $400-600 range I might just buy it. KNow anyone who's got a 600 or 700 motor for sale?
I found two possible CFIs in my search, but I'm sure that you'll have an easier job finding more engines because of the year. I'm rebuilding mine, so that I know what is going into it and that it's done the right way. After tearing down my engine, I'm really skeptical about buying a rebuilt engine now. Also you've got more flexibility because it is older.

powersledder said:
Here ya go

http://www.snowmobilefanatics.com/forum/topic/121232-parting-out-99-polaris-xc-600
Does he mean to say that there is 10K miles on the engine? If so, I'd keep looking.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys, but yeah i would rather not stick another motor in this sled and have it blow up right away. I have been in contact with a few people about buying an entire motor, but I am not just gonna do it cause its easier. At this point I am leaning toward rebuiling cause at least then I know everything is new.

My next question is about the crank failure. I found out today that there were not as many miles on the blown motor as I thought. Probably under 4000 miles. Trying to understand why the crank failed. Could it have been the clutch? The clutch was a little sticky, once in a while it would stick open, but quich release and pin on the throttle always released it. No its not wore out, it was brand new less than 500 miles ago. I was just wondering if it could be out of balance, is there anywhere that could test it?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts