Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
[?] Have been trying to find a good deal, have given up trying to find the best deal years ago. Was looking at new 03 Polaris RMK 700, nice machine, but can get new a 03 Summit 700 with electronic reverse and electric start for the same price. I have a 00 Polaris Sport Touring, which I plan to keep and it has been a great machine for me. Does anyone have any information on the Ski-Doo or reason why not to go that route. Too old to live with out reverse, and will have to keep this machine till I am too old to live with out electric start. Thanks Cam

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Sounds like you already know what's best for you, go with the summit then... I know you can add both e-reverse and e-start to the RMK, but at what cost I don't know. If there the same price and both those are a must have, then like I said...no brainer! Besides, ski doo makes a great sled and I haven't heard of anything bad with the 700's..

G

·
I ride a summit 700 151". Great sled. The jetting needed some attention when I got it but it now performs perfectly. Smooth ride, loads of power. Reverse is great, and I like the wider running boards on the Summit. I am not really a ski doo guy, I also have a Yamaha and a polaris, but when I went looking for a new sled last year, I ended up with the Summit.
Either sled you pick will be a winner.

D

·
Registered
102 Posts
I Own a 2002 Grand Touring 700 with dpm electric start and electronic reverse.Its the best damn sled i have ever owned. Rides like a dream and has a wicked amount of power. I dont think you will be dissapointed with the Summit.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Sounds like the summit is a better deal for ya.
I would question why you would want electric start on a mountain sled but the reverse is nice. ( I know I own a heavy sled not sure why you would want to add that much weight to a light sled) From a pure powder & mountain standpoint. Not sure the type of riding you do, but almost everyone I know spends big buck to shave 5lbs here 3 lbs there and the battery & starter are going to add like 20 to the summit. (I agree it would be nice just to turn the key if weight isn't an issue :))

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just cabled the money today- 700 summit 144 track, electronic reverse, no electric start. Waiting to get home for x-mas to play. Why does it always cost more than expected? Thanks for the imput.

G

·
Great!!!
That is the same sled I got last year. I added the 151 track later on. It worked great with the 144" but I used the 144" to long track my Polaris and decided, what the heck, spring for a 151" for the summit./polarisman/../images/users/D Noel/Holloween Ski doo.jpg

If it runs to rich for you. I rejetted the mains from 510's to 490's.
I did this after the initial break in. Big difference in power and fuel milage. The DPM still adjusts for elevation and temperature but does the whole process with a leaner mixture. Worked great.

D

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
D,Have you come across any service bulletin's about this machine? Might as well do fixes and upgrades before the problems, thanks for the info on jets. One of my neighbours (who turned me on to this deal) bought the 800 model. One of the difference I noticed between the two is some clutch aspects. Do you know what these differences are and any advantages one way or the other? Mine is the blue with a yellow belly protector. Cam

G

·
Yes, there were a few service bullatins on this sled. One was the DPM computer update, which I am sure yours will have done from the dealer. The other was a seat problem in the carb. Some of the Mukini carbs were not put together correctly from the factory and needed to be fixed. I am sure your sled will also have the update done. The 2003 800's have a TRA III clutch. Yours will have the TRA. Different belt width. Don't swap belts with your 800 buddies. Depending on your elevation, your dealer should have the correct pins installed in the clutch. There are different configurations of the pins. Some are hollow, some are solid. Mine are hollow with set screws installed for weight. Above 10,000 feet they recomend taking out the set screws. I ran the clikers on 5 untill I rejetted, then I picked up about 300 rpm and set the clickers to 3. The 800's come with 520 jets and the service bulletin for them is to change to 500's. Your sled will come with 510N jets. It will run fine with those jets but it is pretty rich. I figured if the 800 can run 500's, my 700 needed to be leaner. I switched to 490's, what a difference. The dealer does not have a service bulletin to change the 700's so you will be on your own for that deal. Have fun with your new sled.

D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts