Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to the U.P. of MI over the summer and decided to buy a snowmobile. Saturday I went to the Whitestar auction and bought my first sled! Hopefully its not too slow but not too fast to get me in trouble. 97 Polaris Indy Special 600 triple with fox shocks, new track (studded), sliders and carbides. $1,400. Please tell me I didn't get ripped!

Any advice for the newbie to this sport??

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
that sounds like a good deal for that sled. but that sled might be fast for you for a first sled. they were some hell of sleds with that motor in that time frame so just be careful

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
Enjoy your new ride. I would say you got a good deal.
The best advice I can give to someone new is get good warm clothing and a good helmet. If you arent warm you wont enjoy yourself.

The second best is get used to the sled before you try to go too fast.
The third is always make sure you give the sled a good look over before and after a ride it can save you from breaking down. Also find someone close to you that rides polaris so you can learn about the machine. Reading through past post's on this forum will also help you learn a lot of things. Welcome to the Forum!

·
Registered
115 Posts
700 is kinda big for a first sled, but you'll get use to it if you ride alot WHEN THERE'S SNOW!!! i started out on a XLT 600 and a Storm 800. it's going to be hard to go to a smaller sled after you get use to your 700. Only advice i gotta give is don't try lake riding right away. you'll wanna go fast and for just starting out on a 700, Death certificates get issued.

·
Registered
11,943 Posts
Sounds like a great first sled. You got a good deal on it too. Have fun this winter!

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
There is so many things to tell you if you are brand new to the game. Obivous ones like DONT DRINK and ride and not so Obvious ones like Liquid cooled sleds need a couple minutes to warm up before you blast off on a cold day. Use Isopropal gas line anti freeze on each fill-up not the car stuff. I could go on and on but others will have some pointers too.

·
Registered
98 Posts
bring a shovel if you ride in deep unpacked powder ever, dress in layers, ride with buddies... all very simple

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
Wear a lot of layers, get very good boots, and gloves, and get used to the sled before you open it up.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I want to thank everyone for their words of wisdom, I really appreciate them all. I am going to start out (when it snows here) in a field that I know very well before taking it to the U.P. I would not have thought of the shovel.

Thanks again . . .

1 - 10 of 10 Posts