Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Curt and I live in Glendale, AZ. I have a 1987 Suzuki LT500 with a 1997 Ski-Doo MachZ 809 Triple in it. I have a custom set of JAWS pipes, Vforce reeds, 3 44MM carbs, porting and headwork. It runs on 110 racing fuel. I am having trouble with the drive clutch. The belt only rides halfway up on the pulleys and no one here in the desert knows much about these CVT setups. I basically have a jackshaft on the driven clutch with a 12 tooth sprocket with a chain to a 60 tooth rear sprocket. I have been told to gear down but its not making sense to me. I geared up to a 50 tooth rear and the belt just peaked at a lower point than the 60. I am launching at 4800 RPMs and peaking out at about 8700 RPMs.
Any suggestions.
Curt

P.S. How can I post a picture of this thing??

·
Registered
11,943 Posts
Hey Curt. Welcome to the forum! To post some pictures you will find a little paperclip icon when you reply to or make a new topic. Just hit that and a box will pop up where you can select your file.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Curt, welcome aboard! Also check in the site FAQ's, I'm pretty sure there is instructions in there as well. Hopefully you can get some pics up, that thing sounds mean as hell! Would love to see it...

·
Super Moderator
11,279 Posts
Post pics if ya can, it sounds like a beast!! Welcome to the forum..

·
Registered
352 Posts
dang the 500s were fast machines to begin with..but with a 809!! i bet that sucker flat out halls butt!!! post some pics!!

·
Registered
352 Posts
i just did.

·
Registered
133 Posts
sorry Curt i am having trouble posting pics to scroll down instead of across. but i would sure like to see your toy.

·
Registered
352 Posts
hey man if you get an email from some one named charlie...its me....if you will send em to me at [email protected] i can try to post em.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am going to take some new pictures with my digital camera today in hopes that I can correctly download them and post them. For those of you who offered to try to post them, I may be sending them again through E-mail. Thanks
Curt

·
Registered
322 Posts
This thing is sweet. I love the 800 Sticker on the side...nice touch.

/snofan/../images/users/wannabe377/IM000001-2.jpg

·
Registered
322 Posts
Have another but the attach thing isn't working for me now...I'll do it later. Sorry they're a little blurry, sized them down quite a bit.

·
Super Moderator
11,279 Posts
That looks wicked as hell!!!

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
gearoing down like from the 60 tooth to a 70 tooth will help make the machine quicker out of the hole, accelerate faster and shift up the clutch more. you must have enough drag running them tires in the sand, with the gearing you have, that the hp will only allow half shift out. meaning if at half shift out you are at 100 mph wheel speed. witch i would bet you should be able to blow by a 100 like it was nothing, then 100 is all it wants to do so if you gear down you will still reach 100 but have more gear ratio from the clutchs on the bottom and midrange,

also have the clutchs inspected, make sure you can open the secondary all the way, and close the primary all the way, i have had springs bind before, no matter what i did the sled could just barely break 103 mph in 1000 feet, finally went to try different wieghts and could pry the clutch closed to get the tool on to change weights, so i changed spring instead, and bam. back on the fast track i went.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Awsome!!! i would love to have a quad like that lol....there are some guys around here that wouldnt know what to do if they were raced by taht thing! lol

1 - 16 of 16 Posts