Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi y`all.

I`m in the middle of swapping a `95 583 into a `91 RXL, and am running into a couple of stumbling blocks. I`ve read what I can find on the forums about this swap, which is not much. Lots of people seem to like them, but tech info is a little lite.

What I need to know at this point is how to setup the stock polaris clutches for this motor, what I can do in the way of a can or muffler for the stock pipe, as the stock pipe will fit under the hood, but the can won`t, and I know the pipe needs more restriction. Finally, I`m using the stock ski-doo oil tank, and need to know how the two large lines on the tank hook to the pump, whether bottom goes to bottom, or vice-versa?

Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
You'll have to make a custom exhaust can probably.

The oil line that come out of the top of the rotory valve goes to the top of the oil tank, the one on the bottom of the rotory valve goes to the bottom of the tank.

I assume you're using a Polaris P85 on the 583? You'll have to cross-reference spring tensions and weights in an attemp to get the clutching close. It'll probably be alot of trail & error to get it perfect.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the oil line info!

I figured I would have to build a custom can, my biggest wonder on that is just how close the backpressure of the new can has to be to the old one? I think I can modify the old can to work, but it will be losing a lot of restriction. From looking at my ultra, I think a modified ultra can would work, but with the same question on backpressure. My dad suggested just running the pipe and putting smaller and smaller tubes on it until it starts getting up on the pipe, but I don`t see that working while trying to get the clutching dialed in.

On the clutching front, I was hoping someone who had run a 583 with polaris clutches (I have seen pictures, but no contact info for the owners) would have some info.

For a little background, I`m a heavy diesel mechanic, so I`m fairly mechanical, I just don`t have much experience with sled clutches or pipes.

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Dont worry about lack of backpressure that much, just worry about noise, and then read your plugs. Just as long as the expansion chamber is complete backpressure does not matter all that much, just as long as you dont run lean. I run my race sled without any silencer at all, just the expansion chamber and then a side pipe. It runs perfectly, just as long as the jetting is OK.

As far as clutching I'll take a stab in the dark. Try 55 gram weights, with an almond spring in the primary, and in the secondary try a 36 or 38 degree helix with a black spring in the #4 hole.

That might get you in the ball park. But, I cant be sure...

·
Registered
914 Posts
when i had my old 670 mach, i came over a webside that said that you could cut one inch of the tube were the muffler goes to the pipe and gain a few horses.but i think it only would give you more problems to let the can fit under the hood.
But you could also make a stinger for it, so you dont have to shoehorn it in

·
Registered
581 Posts
are you using the 580 or the 583 with exhaust valves? ive heard of the conversion being done to a 1990 indy 500 but he said it was only the 580 out of like and old formula plus...etc, i think my dad was able to contact the guy because we were looking into the conversion too, ill talk to my dad and see if we can get come contact info for you

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Indy440, I`ll try that clutching and see what it does, It has been so warm here that by the time I get the sled put together I might have to trailer to find snow!

Not worrying about backpressure makes it a lot easier, I might try shortening a cherrybomb or a car resonator to fit.

As for the motor, it is a RAVE valved 583 out of a `95 formula Z. I still have the formula for parts, I just decided to do the motor swap because a friend had a RXL he parted with for $100 with no motor, and for powder riding an indy is lighter, and 10 times better for handling and climbing. The doo chassis with no motor weighed more than the indy with the twin in it. I used the 583 motor plate and the RXL motor straps to make the mount, and the only real hitch has been steering column to carburetor interference, which is mostly
solved.

I`m gonna` set it up with a 144" 2" paddle with a good bit of track rise to keep it up out of the powder. I know a lot of people that think the 144" is to big for this motor, but a buddy has a stock fuji 500 set up this way, and for boondocking and most mountain riding, I love it. He can`t just point it strait up the mountain, but he can usually sidehill just as high as the 700 and 800`s.

Thanks for the info guys.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Good luck with the conversion.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts