Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i want to do work on my zr 600 clutch and want to know if u want max speed is it better to engauge low or high

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
I usually like a higher engadgment I am seTtin mine up to come in at 4500-5000 rpm's

·
Registered
572 Posts
engagement just gets you a holeshot,, your speed comes into gearing and secondary shiftout., unless you have pipes,, then you need to get to your "target" rpm for where the pipes make the most power. then you get more into your primary weights and stuff.

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
Engagement is all about your primary spring, but with different springs you can change much more than just engagement. Changing springs can change your mid range and finish. Buy a racing manual for your sled and you can get a good idea of what spring you want, but changing the engagement isnt really going to help you out all that much. Give you a little more mid range.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
mr.zr600 said:
i want to do work on my zr 600 clutch and want to know if u want max speed is it better to engauge low or high
You mean you want ME to do some clutch work for you.[:D] And clutch engagement will not affect your top speed if all you change is the spring. All you do is get a spring with the same finish rate as stock.

Dont worry Jesse, well clutch your sled this fall. Also, dont forget you need a new/better track first. If we clutch your sled with the track you have now youll just rip the rest of your lugs off.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Luke said:
mr.zr600 said:
You mean you want ME to do some clutch work for you.[:D] And clutch engagement will not affect your top speed if all you change is the spring. All you do is get a spring with the same finish rate as stock.

Dont worry Jesse, well clutch your sled this fall. Also, dont forget you need a new/better track first. If we clutch your sled with the track you have now youll just rip the rest of your lugs off.
????

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
luke is my brother and a good mechanic. yes id like his help but i want to be the one to actually do it that way i really KNOW how to do it for in the future.

Also, dont forget you need a new/better track first. If we clutch your sled with the track you have now youll just rip the rest of your lugs off.

iv allready picked a track the only prob is $$$ but working this summer will pay for it and a few other things i want to get for the sled

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thats were mine engages when its cold. when its warm it engages at 4600

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
firecatF5 said:
My sled currently engages at 4200. I'm trying to set it up for around 4900 or 5000.
lighter primary weights.. only prob is over reving then,

·
Registered
4,299 Posts
Where you want your engagement depends on what you're doing. If you're after a real hard hole shot you might go as far as notching the weights to give a high (5-6k engagement) with the same weight profile as you had before which would give the same mid range and top end performance.

I on the other hand don;t need a good hole shot, in fact I hate the high engagement on my IQr, makes it really bad for boondocking. So I am going to be dropping the engagement to be around what a stock 600 XCSP would have.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts