Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this is right from Maxbits,

Yamaha's new Phazer marks a new direction in snowmobile design. One of the comments we hear is that it makes a great sled, but more power would make it even better. One of our sources tells us that there might be a similarly designed machine with about 130 ponies under the "hood". Given the lighter weight of the Phazer, a powerplant like that could give it the best horsepower-to-weight ratio we've seen on modern sleds, and would give the Phazer the boost it needs for seasoned veteran riders. Big brother to the Phazer? Boy, we hope this rumor is true

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
2 questions

Are they as light as people think they are? I heard they were heavy for what its worth

and also it would be nice to have a bigger engine. Even if they boost it up to a 600 that would be great. it looks like a very fun sled though. Esepcially for the dirtbikes and 4 wheeler guys out there. It looks like one![^]

·
Registered
310 Posts
They had one hanging up on a scale at the Novi Snow Show and it weighed about 510 pounds. It really wasn't that much of a differance from the rage (I think) that they also had on a scale that weighed about 525.

·
Registered
390 Posts
I can pretty much guarantee that the Genesis 120 engine will not find it's way into a current production Phazer, from the factory. The Genesis 80 engine is so crammed in there, the frame is basically built around the engine. I highly doubt if the "twin 450's" idea that was floating around here before would even fit. There just isn't room for more metal. The only way a I could see a bigger engine being stuffed in there would be a front end chassis redesign. And unless Yamaha was been planning and designing this "big bore" Phazer alongside the production Phazer, don't get your hopes up that it will be be around anytime soon.

Will it come out someday? Possibly. But if I was in charge of this project, I'd see how the sales of the current Phazer and the whole snowmobile market were for at least another season, if not more, before I put something like that into production.

Sled_Crew-
Are they as light as Yamaha had originally said? No, I don't think so. For what it's worth, I can lift both ends of my Phazer easier than my XCSP 600. That doesn't necessarily mean it's massively lighter, but the weight distribution is definitely more centralized back by the rider, instead of over the skis.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm thinking and I know it has been said b4 but the R6 motor is inches shorter then the 1000 mtr, they take a production 07 08 motor and tweek it like they did the R1, you might have a 120 or 130 hp 600cc sled that would dominate the 4 stroke and 2 stroke market.
READY, WILLING, AND ABLE to kick some ice.

·
Registered
6,184 Posts
Im gonna sound like a broken record but the Phazer isnt that light. Even with 130hp it wouldnt have as good a power to weight ratio as a lot of other sleds out there. Im sure you could strip the bodywork off a 2 stroke and make it heaps lighter too.

As for rumors ive heard Yamaha would be upping the hp of the Apex to compete with the Mach and F1000. Doo will be definately releasing their new chassis this coming winter. Maybe Cat can put a turbo on their Z1 Jag. Seems to be a lot of room there. And i expect Polaris to come out with something big and great. They are a proud company and falling in sales isnt gonna sit well. Mark my word, next year they will have the most talked about sled.

·
Registered
367 Posts
i agree with monsterjay, they arent the lightest things out there, and you think about it, to get that much more horsepower, they would have to either up the displacement quite a bit or put a turbo on it, which both of those would up the weight of the sled a good amount.

·
Registered
161 Posts
the four strokes always be heavier. the indy 500 is 460 with steel skis and its the same displacement. i whouldnt be able to lift it up and get it out of a deep snow drift. my dads old rxl weighs as much as the phazer!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.