Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 96 Ultra SP/ I noticed my front torque arm has a crack inside the upright where the rear rod runs through the suspension. We tried our best to weld it 350 miles ago, but I noticed it has cracked again. We might not get alot of riding in this year so I was wondering if you would run it or not? If you feel strongly about it from experience etc., please leave a comment.

[attachment=55300]

Attachments

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
I would pull it out and fix it. Not like we got alot of snow right now.

I have welded up alot of those, the 98 xc 700's are coming in with those cracked now.

·
Registered
831 Posts
It does not make sense to me to run anything with a known problem.

If you run it and it breaks, suffer the consequences with no swearing...>LOL

Bulldog

·
Registered
102 Posts
I'm with Bulldog. It doesn't make any sense to me to risk anything that you know might be a problem. Especially if we don't get much snow, you're not gonna wanna lose what time we do get to a breakdown.
But if you do decide to run it and it breaks, be silent as you endure.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think it will have to be fixed. Was wondering if I could weld a half piece of pipe over the break for more strength this time and drill in a new zerk. Will it interfere with the arms going to the lower shock mount or can I grind a little of them out to accomodate the piece of pipe?

[attachment=55300]

Attachments

·
Registered
137 Posts
Bring it to a good fab shop and have them TIG weld it, and have them put in gussets. I wouldn't put another piece of pipe over it.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm ignorant, what are gussets?

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
A gusset would be a triangle piece of metal welded in the corner of two pieces of metal to make the corner stronger.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
But it is not a corner, it is on the pipe- under the other bracket that rotates on that pipe.

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
A gusset is any time of material that you add to strengthen the item you are putting it on.

·
Registered
71 Posts
i would say you could run it if it isnt cracked too bad. mine was cracked and i ran it for 2 years and then i had it out so i got it welded. there is a pipe inside of the cracked piece so it is stronger than you think.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It isn't a matter of a good welder or not, it is about getting under the pivot arms that are right over the crack. Last time we bent it to one side to try to get it out of the way... Maybe it is the welder, I know another guy that fabricates as good as any on OCC.(Yes, that is my standard as far as welding goes) I guess I'll take it to him, if he can't make it work then it can't be done.
I am an electrical contractor, so the only welding I do is by accident. [ROFL]

·
Registered
255 Posts
Originally posted by MoJuice
[br]I am an electrical contractor, so the only welding I do is by accident. [ROFL]
That usually includes your friend from the fire dept too right? LOL.

Hope you've got it fixed now... Here in Coloma MI I have about 26" of snow on the ground and more coming. I actually had to dig out the XLT to get it ready. I had gotten so bummed with no snow the last 2 years I had it up for sale. WELL... it's still for sale but the price just went up...[:D]

·
Registered
187 Posts
Of the three sleds i've had with an x-10, two of them cracked in the same place. I've welded them for other people as well. Ran mine that way for over a year with no problems. It's a crack on the tube over the shaft that's bolted on right, not one the tubes that goes up to the upper cross shaft that mounts in the tunnel. If it was one of those or the weld on that tube, then yes fix it right away. But if its just the lower tube that's cracked, then you'll be fine to run it the rest of the year. I've seen many of these like that and the cracks dont get any worse nor does it hurt anything in the suspension. Ultimately it would be a good idea to fix it for reliability sake, but as far as safety goes, you should be fine. Personally, I'd run it and fix it in the off season. -Polaris Doc

·
Registered
4,299 Posts
I have a crack in the same spot on my 98 XLT SP, rode it all last year like that and it was ok and because of the low snow conditions in MN I know it's not going to get a lot of use this year, but I am going to replace the arms this summer

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yea, I am going to figure out how to weld a support brace of some kind to help this area.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts