Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1995 Indy 500. I start the sleds at least once a month. The last time i went to start the sled it ran on just 1 cylinder. we thought maybe after we got the suspension back in and let the clutch kick in the 2nd one would fire. Well that didn't happen. it has spark. we took out the air box, clean the carb and put the carb back on without the air box and it was running on 2. then put the air box back in and it ran on 1 again. i took the air box apart and cleaned it. we took the coil off the other 95 indy 500 we have, thinkin that it wasn't getting enough spark under compression but that wasn't the case. could anybody help figure out what the problem might be? i'm willing to try anything right about now.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
well have you tried changing spark plugs, i know you said it has spark, but there are times when the plug will not fire under compression, but will fire fine when laying on the top of the engine. I would also check to be sure the choke isnt stuck on that particular cylinder.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Could be several things
1. Check your spark plug cap on the failing cylinder. Sometimes the resistor goes in them.
2. Stuck needle n seat in your carb. Allows fuel to fill up the bowl slowly but then gets stuck and your outa fuel.
3. Check for leaks in the fuel line coming from the pump to the carb. In fact check to see there isnt a rip in the fuel pump.

I doubt its a coil, cdi or stator plate. Usually those three components either work or dont work. My best guess is the cap, at least thats where i would start out.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
yeah what TOU said (as usual). Also sometimes the airbox pushes on the wires that run under it and around it causing a bad connection. Its rare that a machine that is running on one would run on two by removing the air box because the plug fouls. Most likely a new set of plugs will help.

·
Registered
20 Posts
It could also be the crank seal. If its leaking badly it will prevent the vacuum required to suck gas into the cylinder. Spray some alcohol or easy start or I think even wd-40 down towards the seal with your engine running. If it revs up your seal is toast.

·
Registered
20 Posts
to check for a stuck needle n seat.

With your engine running (one one cylinder) give the carb with the dead piston a few whacks with a blunt object. Not overly hard but bang it with something like a screwdriver handle. If the cylinder starts up you know its a needle n seat.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We ordered a new needle and seat. that'll be in on wednesday. that's what we think it is. and we are putting a new fuel line in. Thanks for the info and i'll let ya'll know what was really with the POS LOL

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well we got the problem worked out. there was like frost shit in the gas tank so we took that out and it was the needle and seat. so thanks guys for all the help

1 - 8 of 8 Posts