Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 96 Ultra that's only running on the PTO and Mid cylinders... NO Mag side. It's got Spark and the plug is wet so It's getting gas (maybe too much gas ????)

Anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
more info:

The carb on that cylinder is shooting gas out of the vent tubes (i guess) that connect up to the air box. What does this mean??

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Well i guess it could also be a bad needle and seat or a water logged float, but either way if its pushing gas out the vent tubes, something is wrong with the float system

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks TOU... I was thinking along those lines too... I pulled the carb and took it apart. The floats both float in gas and move freely so I figure they must be fine... I'll go and pick up a new needlt and seat assembly tomorrow and see if that solves the problem,

Thanks

HS

·
Registered
68 Posts
Could also be a bad diapragm in the fuel pump (If the vacuum comes off the mag side on the bottom end) If its cracked it can draw lots of extra fuel into the crankcase, and because each part of the motor is sealed from the other, it will only affect the one cylinder. Worth a check anyways. Good Luck!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Do the newer sleds fuel pumps' run off a vacuum from the bottom end or are they electric?

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Unless the sled is fuel injected, they still use vacuum impulse operated fuel pumps.

And my reasoning behind the fuel pump not being the problem is because he said the gas was coming out the vents in the carburator. So if its coming out the vents, gas in the crankcase would have nothing to do with this problem.

If we did not know that the gas was coming out the vent lines in the carbs, a fuel pump could very likely be the cause for constantly fouling plugs in that instance.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Triumph is right on the money. For some reason fuel is overfilling the carb. Most likely because of the needle valve or that the float height somehow was altered.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
As suspected... Needle and seats...It would shoot fuel out the vent even with out the sled running... Funny thing how the old neelde and seat assembly looks clean as can be and un damaged (viton tip) but won't seat... Oh well!! I took it out for a ride this afternoon and it ran great!

Thanks

1 - 12 of 12 Posts