Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My uncle told me if I run my track backwards I can increase my traction quite a bit. Has anyone ever done this and does it make a considerable difference?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I think it would depend on the type of track you have. I would think that someone who has a lot more money and smarts than us, designed the track that way for a reason, but who knows.

I have never heard of people doing this, but then again, I don't listen to people very often.

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
well, if you have a sizeable lug track, and the lugs are angled the same way of direction of rotation, it may look like you are not getting optimum traction or hook up. so some people say hey! let me be like a mx racer and flip my rubber around so i get more bite to the ground.

but when i look at it, if u flip a paddle track around that has some use on it, and the lugs are tilted towards the rear of the sled, u lose stopping "bite" which makes me think its a bad idea. for the small amount that it will help for acceleration, doesnt constitute not being able to stop as well in my eyes.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
I believe most taller lugged tracks are cupped in the forward direction helping with braking... and manufacturers do that for a reason, so you can aid with stopping. Now yes it is true you will gain a bit more traction turning the track around, but I highly doubt it would be noticeable. Its not worth the effort plus the stopping ability which I believe is more important than acceleration. If you want better acceleration get a longer or deeper track or a bigger sled. Just my 2 cents

·
Registered
918 Posts
They have an arrow on them for a reason. They are designed to be ran one way and thats the way I would leave it.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Guys run Attack 20s backwards all the time. I've helped a couple friends turn theirs around, it climbs like a cat up a tree but like was stated above, braking is compromised. As long as you keep that in mind, we haven't had any issues with any of the tracks we've switched around.

Chad

·
Registered
353 Posts
My father in law put his track back on backward once by mistake when he had his chaincase out. he couldn't figure out why when he braked he could slow down worth a damn. When we went riding after he put it all back together. He went right off the trail a couple times trying to brake going hot into a corner.

I asked him if he put the track back on the right way during reassembly and he just looked at me with a confused look on his face. It was pretty funny!

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
It does help acceleration a bit because the track is angled to bite for stopping not acceleration. That said, your braking will suffer.

·
Registered
76 Posts
ALL MY TRACKS ARE STUDDED.. WIFES ZL HAS 48 AND THE XCOUNTRY AND F5 HAVE 148 EACH..
THE HANDLING THE CORNERS IS THE IMPORTANT PART FOR ME.. GOES AND STOPS GREAT.. THROW IS A GOOD SET OF SKIS W/CARBIDES AND HANDLING IS LIKE RIDING RAILS. MN. NORTH SHORE CAN GET TWISTY AND A BIT ICEY AND I AM SURE I SPEND A LOT LESS TIME TRYING TO GET BACK ONTO THE TRAIL...

·
Registered
222 Posts
johny5 said:
ALL MY TRACKS ARE STUDDED.. WIFES ZL HAS 48 AND THE XCOUNTRY AND F5 HAVE 148 EACH..
THE HANDLING THE CORNERS IS THE IMPORTANT PART FOR ME.. GOES AND STOPS GREAT.. THROW IS A GOOD SET OF SKIS W/CARBIDES AND HANDLING IS LIKE RIDING RAILS. MN. NORTH SHORE CAN GET TWISTY AND A BIT ICEY AND I AM SURE I SPEND A LOT LESS TIME TRYING TO GET BACK ONTO THE TRAIL...
Have you ever heard of caps lock?

·
Registered
76 Posts
MN_SlEdnEck said:
johny5 said:
[thumb] YEP

·
Registered
388 Posts
One of the other reasons the deep lugged tracks are angled to the front is to aid in flotation and staying on top of the deep snow. Reversing in those conditions digs you down instead of keeping you up.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
johny5 said:
MN_SlEdnEck said:
johny5 said:
[thumb] YEP

3096.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
110 Posts
Aside from the typing lesson we are getting I can add that yes, braking will suffer...but the track will not.

Burch

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thanks for the input guys, I think i'm just gonna leave it the way it is, I guess brakes are important too.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts