Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2004 Polaris 600 RMK, manual start, no battery. Ran it for the past 2 winters with no problems. Recently it starts fine but then after about 5 minutes of riding it loses power, and just suddenly dies. It will restart after it dies, if I let it sit for 10 mins then the cycle repeats itself. 1st pull on the pull starter is very firm and difficult to pull after it dies but then it cycles smoothly. Fresh gas in the tank and new plugs, probably 1/2 of the 2 cycle oil is at least 2 years old that has been sitting reservoir. Cold compression test: CL1: 105 psi, CL2 110 psi. I'm basically a newbie when it comes to working on sleds seems like it must be something electrical but want to see what other people think before I attempt at diagnosing the problem.

Where should I start with this problem? I've asked around and did some internet digging, one person said it might be the stator, maybe a voltage regulator, temp sensor and another said the carb floats? If anyone has a suggestion on what order you would troubleshoot this issue I would appreciate it. Just pick up a service manual.

·
Registered
83 Posts
If its hard to pull when it dies, it might be seizing up from overheating.
I'd be checking it with a lazer temp gun and making sure the water pump is circulating the coolant.

Also make sure its getting proper oil

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

1 - 3 of 3 Posts