Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sled Dog,

So far all I got for you is the weight of the stock stuff, 21.5#, what we think we can get it down to, 10# approx., and that it is different to work on. I don't think it's gonna be a problem to get 10lbs knocked off and still keep it quiet, but I also think that most people are gonna want something that sounds like a loud street bike. When I rode this thing in the grass earlier the biggest noise i heard was the track noise. It is very quiet.

Have you seen the cut away sleds that they had at demo shows? The exhaust comes out of each cylinder, goes under the gas tank to about the half way point of the tank. Then they converge into two pipes, and shortly after that there is a slip fit joint. From there it goes like a foot and there is a crossover, and then it goes to the back and dumps into a big can roughly the size of a small watermelon. Out of that can come the two pipes, one on each side and they go out the back. Well we are workin on the system from the slip fit back. It is a lot of work, but we should have something built by mon-tues. and then test it on wednesday hopefully.
I'll keep posting with info when I have it.

I don't use the brakes until I see God, and I am never wrong. I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
nice man, if you can dyno it taht would be great(just keep asking and asking), did you weigh the stock sled yet? Have a scale big enough?

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Got the first prototype done Late last night. It is nice I think, but kinda on the loud side. It comes in around 92-96 decibles in teh grass. Seems to have more power, but also is a little richer. Could be good or bad. The sound is that of a streetbike, but with more bark to it and not so much formula 1 sound. I like the sound. Working on getting on a dyno when we can see the difference in the stock to ours. I think people would like the sound tho. I'll keep posted, and when we get dyno and stuff.
arne

I don't use the brakes until I see God, and I am never wrong. I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
planning to sell these yourselves? I can get you in touch with a market of people if you are. Know a place with a LOT of RX-1 owners. Bet a lot of them would like that sound. You should try and get a sound file with the sound of the stock and new exhaust. Just a suggestion.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Yeah, if your selling them your self, I could pass along the info in the Sled Maine forum I visit. There's some guys there that have bought the RX-1 as well. It will be interesting to see what the dyno says.

1997 XLT SP 600
"Engage the Mechanism"

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes we are planning on selling ourselves. HOpefully I can get a good soundcard and get it on our website. I haven't had time to even get on the website yet, but hopefully over a weekend soon I will get some stuff on the site. I would love to get as many people as possible, so I appreaciate anything you guys could do for me. E-mails are great, have them send to [email protected]
I will keep posting as much as I can as soon as I can, and hopefully i can get some of this stuff on the website.
Thanks sled-dog & tfin

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The proto is around 10 to 12 pounds. I don't have an exact weight on it yet cause it's still in the sled and we got so excited to hear it when it was done we forgot to weigh it. But I know what we got in it and it's around ten pounds of material give or take. I don't know if this will make the market yet, have to do some more testing and I think for some areas it will be too loud. I think we can cut about 4 decibles out and not gain a pound and it should be loud, but a pleasant loud so it won't piss anyone off. Allot of testing room here and a crapload of possibilities to try so we gotta make sure to check them out now that we got the basics down. I stay in the shop an extra hour at night and start the sled up and just blip the throttle, it's almost better than sex, i love the sound.
arne jr.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
where are you located again? wish I could come hear(and ride) that thing. Passed the email addy and some info on to www.totallyamaha.com gonna hit www.rx1.info next. Told people to email if they are interested or just want more info. There are a few racers that hang out there never know maybe they will be interested. I know at least one is an official member of the Yamaha Grass Drag team. Man I want to hit some grass drags, maybe when the Viper is piped and geared my dad will let me :)

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
wow just saw that Sno-Tek is selling a new steering shaft for the RX-1 that saves 1 1/2 lbs. and is a bit stronger, $189!! If people will buy that for that much imagine your exhaust if you can drop 10 lbs and produce a little more power!

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
yeah as expected people are commenting that the weight loss isn't great(I think it is) and that you would just buy sound. You may want to get that thing on a dyno sometime soon. If you right about the richer running maybe you want to offer a trail and mountain version with the trail being jetted down.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I got a digital sound recorder today, so I will soon be able to put sound on the web. I just have to figure how to do that. I was playing with it alittle tonite in the shop but the sound bounced to much. I want to get a sound of the stock muff and then ours. I still don't know if we will build the one we got or make one a little quieter so for now everything is still in prototype stage. Too many things to do, so little time b-4 the snow flies.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just put the proto # 2 on the sled tonite. It is much quieter. We will do some sound levels in teh morning. Presently it weighs in at 10.5 pounds. Depending on how the week goes and next week we hope to line up a dyno. Not sure yet tho. We are going to be at haydays with it. Not much else to say cause we just got done with it.
Thanks for all your help Sled Dog and Tfin, I really appreciate it. My site hits have went up by the hundreds, and I don't even have anything on it yet, besides the sound clips I added tonite.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts