Snowmobile Fanatics banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up our RX-1 today, took it out of the crate and assembled. Holy crap what a job! I've set up many race sleds and they are easy compared to this. It is a nice sled tho, runs nice, sounds ok, quiet. We're gonna take it apart now and see what we can build for exhaust systems for it, but it doesn't look good right now. I'll keep you all informed, maybe we'll run it in the grass a few times tomorrow.

I don't use the brakes until I see God, and I am never wrong. I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
got to run it alittle today. Nice smooth power delivery, doesn't feel like much power on the bottom, but hang the fark on when she hits the midrange it pulls your arms off. Holy crap! I always hated yammi's but this is a nice sled, besides being wedged into the chassis. You have to see it, there is no workin on it, it's like a brand new car where you can't hardly find the dipstick.
Arne

I don't use the brakes until I see God, and I am never wrong. I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
nice... i can't see the picture...

GO HARD, OR GO HOME - IF YOU COME TO A FORK IN THE ROAD...TAKE IT

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
pic doesn't work. people are already making claims of 300HP turbos on the yamaha forum I hit. I told them that is BS. Bender themselves claim 230HP is like the highest they hit so far turbo alone. A 300HP turbo would prolly lag all the way through a 500ft race.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

i don't know wtf is going on, i can't post pics

·
Administrator
13,092 Posts
try making sure the file extension is lower case. I think that is the problem.

http://www.bolliger-mabillard.com

I love B&M Coasters!

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok, i think this works, but i don't know, if it does then I will post more

/snofan/../images/users/rocket/rx1assemble.jpg

·
Administrator
13,092 Posts
Hey rocket, I see that it did work, could you let me know if the file extension is what was wrong?

http://www.bolliger-mabillard.com

I love B&M Coasters!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I saw the RX-1 up north last year and it looks like a great sled, however I did have a couple of practical issues, and I don't know if they've been resolved for mass production - hopefully someone here will know.

1. There was no REAL front bumper. Good luck getting a 1000 cc sled out of the deep snow with no front bumper to help out.

2. No pull cord. Hopefully the production sleds have pull cords. Nothing like being at the camp in minus 40 weather and you've got to rely on electric start.

does anyone know if these 2 items have been addressed? Thanks.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hey p-man, it must have been the file extension lower case letters thing, cause thats all i changed and it worked.

As far as teh issues domestic, it has a plastic front bumper with 4 screws holding it on, I think it's crappy and won't hold, also it is a dry sump motor so the oil is held externally so the sled should start pretty good in cold weather because the crankshaft isn't in direct contact with the cold oil so it will crank easier, and it does have external jumper cable extensions because the battery is buried deep in the chassis under the toolbx and air box so jumping it won't be a problem unless you don't have a sled to jump it with which means your farked pretty much if you have to jump it. All in all I think they could have done a much better job--but it is a really nice sled and runs good, sounds nice but will sound better once we get an exhaust built for it. We are workin on one and it is going allright, but it is a bitch to work around all the crap.
/snofan/../images/users/rocket/rx1tach.jpg

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Keep me posted on what you do man, and domestictwin I will give you a pull cord I want to see you pull that thing over! Should be good for a few laughs. I am almost 100% you would pull a muscle trying to cold pull that thing in like -10F weather. It may have an emergency pull starter for the clutch but I know I wouldn't want to try it. And on top of the dry sump system the starter is suppossedly 1.5x stronger then any production sled to date. Meaning the starting is stronger then any you have probably dealt with.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Rocket,
I am glad to see someone that owns an RX-1 have an objective opinion on the sled. I think it is going to be a real nice ride, but on some other forums I get tired of listening to the BS about numbers before anyone has gotten a chance to ride it. I considered trading in the Big Cat for one but I think I'll wait at least one season to see how they work in the mountains.

Nice pics by the way. (Looks like kinda of a pain to put together) Hope you saved some cash doing it yourself. (I know that putting it together yourself makes workiing on it later a lot easier.)

Keep us informed on your opinions on how it works.

THINK LOTS OF DEEEEP SNOW
WE WILL ALL BE RIDING SOON!

Member #2 of the Arctic Cat Mind Control Team

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Oh I will always have an opinion on sleds:) Personally I don't think I would buy this sled this year only because it is the first year out, and because I know that Arctic has one that will be as good or better than the RX-1, and when it comes out you can bet we will buy that too. I wish I could give details on the Arctic, but I can't cause too many people know me. We only bought the sleds for business and hopefully we can sell them soon so I can get some of that capital back in the bank.
As far as the RX-1 goes......dealers will make a killing on warrenty work, cause any thing that needs to be done will take boucoup time! Changing the oil requires..taking the airbox, battery, battery holder, and right side panel off. Then the oil plug in the resivoir, and taking the bottom access panel off and the plug from the motor. Let oil drain, put new filter on, plugs, and fill.
The fit and finish could be a little better on the sled, the clutches suck, track ratchets no matter how tight you get it, hand warmers are hotter than a crotch(good thing) track is a 4 year old piece of crap that isn't any good in snow deeper than a quarter of an inch, and parts cost a ton. That's a list of the stuff I've come up with so far.

http://www.whiteknuckleperformance.com

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
So whats the latest on the RX-1ton? Finally got to see one up close. Does look like a mechanic's nightmare. There were a bunch of people standing around it at the show I was at. I asked the rep why they have all the specs EXCEPT WEIGHT, on the stand-up next to it. He says its 548# dry. I told him he was full of it. I told him my buddies boss picked one up 2 weeks ago and brought it into work and put it on a certified scale and it went 650#! He still insisted on the 548#. I laughed at him. Man I love doing that!

NO FOREST FAIRIES(SKIERs)
BURN GAS SLEDS KICK AZZ!

TRIPLE-THE ONLY CHOICE!!!!!
'00 Indy Triumph
'93 XLT 580
'78 Arctic Cat Jag 3000

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
650? was the guy sitting on it? Prolly had a full coolant system, oil, and gas tank at the time. Seeing as unless you put it together yourself out of the crate it is hard to get one without fluids. I saw one finally this past weekend. Heard it run and they had one that was torn down to show you everything. Had an engine all taken apart on the one table. The cams looks so tiny its pretty funny. People were standing around it laughing saying "how do you know its running, no smoke?" one guy and I were standing behind it we were like "stand back here you can tell" it smells a little funky. Not like a car or any bike I have smelled personally and not like a 2 stroker. Its a lot louder then most people led me to believe. To me it sounds just like the video on Yamaha's site. I found out one bit of info I didn't know before, it has a rev limiter somewhere around 10,500RPMs. Lose that sucker and you could get some crazy speeds out of it but prolly blow it. I would do it at least once if I had one.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
The guys at a local shop wieghed one with oil and coolant the short track went 593# and the lontrack was 620# I know that sounds heavy if you didn't start out riding a T-Cat but the balance seems to be decent.
I would still wait and see how it really works before considering one.

Member #2 of the Arctic Cat Mind Control Team

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
sounds about rightr for what I have been hearing 650 sounds pretty high. I am told it is pretty well balanced we shall see when it comes to the long tracker in the deep stuff.

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
OK, now add the 10 gallons of gas that it holds at 6lbs. per gallon. Now what do you get?

NO FOREST FAIRIES(SKIERs)
BURN GAS SLEDS KICK AZZ!

TRIPLE-THE ONLY CHOICE!!!!!
'00 Indy Triumph
'93 XLT 580
'78 Arctic Cat Jag 3000

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
got 1 of our firecraps on friday, put it together on saturday. I don't know if the assmbly line at AC forgot to put some stuff together or what. I have had arctics all my life, but this thing is a piece of schmidt. Coupled with my other problems with arctic I won't be buying any more unless the business requires us to(like when they introduce their 1000cc 4-stroke:)) AC has seriously went in the crapper with their quality control. /snofan/../images/users/rocket/firepig.jpg

http://www.whiteknuckleperformance.com

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
What do you mean by quality control? Like the quality of the parts used, or the fit and finish, or just how good or bad the parts go together??? I'm curious...

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.