Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok all here is what I got..I have a 91 RXL 650 and a Thrashed good parts sled 97 800 storm..I m going to USE the Simmons flex skis Fox Shocks..I m talking every thing off of it and putting it on to my RXL 650.Primary and secondary clutch pipes (SELLING ENGINE MAKE OFFER)FOX SHOCKS TRAILING ARMS maybe even the heat exchanger..I m installing a 153 track with shaved lugs and the seat..I would like to use as much stuff of this parts sled as possible.. my first question is would I need to chip my sled with these stock tripple pipes?(Could I use a Module from ebay) Second yes the seat is different however is it possible to use the seat and gas tank of the storm and install it on my 91 RXL? 3rd secondary and Primary clutches would these be an upgrade over the 650 Main and secondary clutching?..(Ohh the engine Comes with airboxes Carbs pretty much everything but the pipes)....If there is anything u need let me know I may have it...I do have the rear heat excahnger and chanin case...And I could really use the feedback on this..thanks all
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,987 Posts
Stop...

Do not mix and match engine parts like that. The pipes and clutches are tuned for the power band of the 800, and won't work worth a shit on the 650.

The rest of the stuff will be an upgrade to yer old RXL.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ugly_old_Poo_kid said:
Stop...

Do not mix and match engine parts like that. The pipes and clutches are tuned for the power band of the 800, and won't work worth a shit on the 650.

The rest of the stuff will be an upgrade to yer old RXL.
Hey....Are you the Gentlman who Hacked a Tripple ECU?...I appreciate the information about the 650...I do have a few questions about the exahust however....I was told if I get Ride of the stuffing in the muffler that would help flow just a Bit..What do u think....What can I do to relese a lil power from this Sled?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,987 Posts
Yeah, that be me. And several more after that, too.

If you want more giddyup out of yer rxl, clutch and gear it. And if you can find the matching pipes and chip, pipe it. Preferably a set of PSI ModBlasters, they will make your sled go quite a bit faster than you're used to.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ugly_old_Poo_kid said:
Yeah, that be me. And several more after that, too.

If you want more giddyup out of yer rxl, clutch and gear it. And if you can find the matching pipes and chip, pipe it. Preferably a set of PSI ModBlasters, they will make your sled go quite a bit faster than you're used to.
Hey Will the seat off my 800 work I know there will be some modification buyt I wasnt sure if it was extesive?...Did the EFI MAKE A BIG DIFFERENCE WHEN you hacked it?...How much
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
145 Posts
If you decide to put on a set of pipes. You will also need to rejet the carberetors (usually increase main jet 1 size to start) since a pipe will increase the fuel needs and tends to move the power band up higher in the rpm range. If you are trail riding the stock exhaust tends to offer better low end torque and you won't have to recalibrate your clutching either. Pipes tend to give more horsepower however the power curve is shifted towards higher rpm's. It depends on your riding preferences. If you do mostly leisurely trail riding than keep the stock exhaust since it will offer more torque off the bottom or if you want to be a lake racer get the pipe and make sure to rejet your carbs or you will most likely burn a piston. I don't know what exhaust mods you can do by yourself with electronic fuel injection since the manufacture programs the ecu to run with the stock engine/pipe/airbox and putting on a set of pipes could make tuning it a real problem. As to upgrading to a set of pipes on a fuel injected RXL 650. I would only get a replacement ecu chip that has been proven to work with a set of pipes such as the psi since you usually cannot return electronic modules once you install them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
GustoGuy said:
If you decide to put on a set of pipes. You will also need to rejet the carberetors (usually increase main jet 1 size to start) since a pipe will increase the fuel needs and tends to move the power band up higher in the rpm range. If you are trail riding the stock exhaust tends to offer better low end torque and you won't have to recalibrate your clutching either. Pipes tend to give more horsepower however the power curve is shifted towards higher rpm's. It depends on your riding preferences. If you do mostly leisurely trail riding than keep the stock exhaust since it will offer more torque off the bottom or if you want to be a lake racer get the pipe and make sure to rejet your carbs or you will most likely burn a piston. I don't know what exhaust mods you can do by yourself with electronic fuel injection since the manufacture programs the ecu to run with the stock engine/pipe/airbox and putting on a set of pipes could make tuning it a real problem. As to upgrading to a set of pipes on a fuel injected RXL 650. I would only get a replacement ecu chip that has been proven to work with a set of pipes such as the psi since you usually cannot return electronic modules once you install them.
Hmmm So Suffice to say rally the only thing I can do is bolt the suspesion back on Retain stock exahust..That sucks...Also I was curios about putting the 800 storm Seat and tank setup on the RXL can this be done without huge Headache....My next question was guys that when I start the sled it almost seem to boooooooooog Boooooog Boooooooooog Down until its in the upper rpms a bit..I thought it may be batterie changed the fuel line and pump...My only other thought is air in the system? What are your thoughts?

Ugly_old_Poo_kid said:
Stop...

Do not mix and match engine parts like that. The pipes and clutches are tuned for the power band of the 800, and won't work worth a shit on the 650.

The rest of the stuff will be an upgrade to yer old RXL.
Wow so this is cool I m talkign to the guy who hacked the Polaris ECU..IF you dont mind my saying so your kinda a cult legend lol...My name is Adam it would be really awsome if u made a program and had the Gear and sold it and maybe even offered pre set optimum performance for different EFI SLEDS 500 650s so on along with the monster hack..lol have it all inclusive with the adapter for the lap top plug and play..Man u would make some money..Suffice to say U could call it EFI MONSTER HACK..This kit included all hardware to give your meager stock ECU and easy attitude adjustment...Sorry man I ll get off my soap box now...Man i would love to have your knoweldge I was actually talking about you to a buddy of My at my work who is a old school hacker...And still loves to do it....Keep up the good work....[thumb]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,987 Posts
Slojoegottago said:
Wow so this is cool I m talkign to the guy who hacked the Polaris ECU..IF you dont mind my saying so your kinda a cult legend lol...My name is Adam it would be really awsome if u made a program and had the Gear and sold it and maybe even offered pre set optimum performance for different EFI SLEDS 500 650s so on along with the monster hack..lol have it all inclusive with the adapter for the lap top plug and play..Man u would make some money..Suffice to say U could call it EFI MONSTER HACK..This kit included all hardware to give your meager stock ECU and easy attitude adjustment...Sorry man I ll get off my soap box now...Man i would love to have your knoweldge I was actually talking about you to a buddy of My at my work who is a old school hacker...And still loves to do it....Keep up the good work....[thumb]
Legend? Sure, a legend in my own mind... [thumb]

I have the Polaris hardware designed and tested, and ready to go into production, and was working on software when I got detoured to get into Arctic Cat to help a guy attempt to break a world record. The hardware and software he needs will be completed by may or june, and the Polaris stuff should be ready then as well.

Also, I'm working on a wireless version, so you can do it with a Droid or i-phone instead of having to tote around a laptop.

As far as the pre-made maps go, those will be available in the future.. It will take getting my hands on a lot of hardware to test and dyno to do pre-made maps, that's expensive and this is a hobby done with (very limited) spending money. Once there's income from selling some stuff, that will afford me to buy the stuff to do pre-made.

I have a website under construction, the URL is www.snowmogeek.com, and it should be up and running around the same time as both hacks are ready.

And yes, I was an old school hacker and software pirate, and graduated to hacking stuff that made more $$ but bailed when the DMCA came out and had a chance of losing my house or going to jail for it. For a short period of time I was known worldwide though, then disappeared into the night.



Slojoegottago said:
Hmmm So Suffice to say rally the only thing I can do is bolt the suspesion back on Retain stock exahust..That sucks...Also I was curios about putting the 800 storm Seat and tank setup on the RXL can this be done without huge Headache....My next question was guys that when I start the sled it almost seem to boooooooooog Boooooog Boooooooooog Down until its in the upper rpms a bit..I thought it may be batterie changed the fuel line and pump...My only other thought is air in the system? What are your thoughts?
The 97 seat and tank will go on, you'll have to tinker with the front where the tank mounts to the chassis.. It's not horrible difficult, there's a couple threads on it in the forum here.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ugly_old_Poo_kid said:
Slojoegottago said:
Wow so this is cool I m talkign to the guy who hacked the Polaris ECU..IF you dont mind my saying so your kinda a cult legend lol...My name is Adam it would be really awsome if u made a program and had the Gear and sold it and maybe even offered pre set optimum performance for different EFI SLEDS 500 650s so on along with the monster hack..lol have it all inclusive with the adapter for the lap top plug and play..Man u would make some money..Suffice to say U could call it EFI MONSTER HACK..This kit included all hardware to give your meager stock ECU and easy attitude adjustment...Sorry man I ll get off my soap box now...Man i would love to have your knoweldge I was actually talking about you to a buddy of My at my work who is a old school hacker...And still loves to do it....Keep up the good work....[thumb]
Legend? Sure, a legend in my own mind... [thumb]

I have the Polaris hardware designed and tested, and ready to go into production, and was working on software when I got detoured to get into Arctic Cat to help a guy attempt to break a world record. The hardware and software he needs will be completed by may or june, and the Polaris stuff should be ready then as well.

Also, I'm working on a wireless version, so you can do it with a Droid or i-phone instead of having to tote around a laptop.

As far as the pre-made maps go, those will be available in the future.. It will take getting my hands on a lot of hardware to test and dyno to do pre-made maps, that's expensive and this is a hobby done with (very limited) spending money. Once there's income from selling some stuff, that will afford me to buy the stuff to do pre-made.

I have a website under construction, the URL is www.snowmogeek.com, and it should be up and running around the same time as both hacks are ready.

And yes, I was an old school hacker and software pirate, and graduated to hacking stuff that made more $$ but bailed when the DMCA came out and had a chance of losing my house or going to jail for it. For a short period of time I was known worldwide though, then disappeared into the night.



Slojoegottago said:
Hmmm So Suffice to say rally the only thing I can do is bolt the suspesion back on Retain stock exahust..That sucks...Also I was curios about putting the 800 storm Seat and tank setup on the RXL can this be done without huge Headache....My next question was guys that when I start the sled it almost seem to boooooooooog Boooooog Boooooooooog Down until its in the upper rpms a bit..I thought it may be batterie changed the fuel line and pump...My only other thought is air in the system? What are your thoughts?
The 97 seat and tank will go on, you'll have to tinker with the front where the tank mounts to the chassis.. It's not horrible difficult, there's a couple threads on it in the forum here.
Hey...So If u need a Bone stock sled to tinker on My RXL would be a great cadidate as for performance Remaping..So do u have anything for sale yet as far as the polaris EFIs go?....becuse I would be super interested in buying it..Suffice to say...Shoot I would buy it and post befores and afters...!!!Ohhh as for the bogging down I m really at a loss Like I said I changed the fuel lines Filter as well as intake filter and Fuel Pump...Tottaly charged batterie..its the werdest thing..it just boooooog boooooogs Down until it hits the upper rpms a tiny bit...Like I said the only other thing I thought it would be is maybe air in the system I m gonna take the batterie out and charge it again..Ohhh on the chaincase i have a full quart of chain case oil for the 650..I was curios first off how much will i need to put in when i refill it...And would the side chain case cover off my 800 work becuse it has a dipstick I was curious about that too...I hope u dont mind me picking ur brain I got the tools just need the feedback.I was promised help by some sled geeks around here so I m kinda do this on my own...Rather get it done right the first time without ne reservations....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,987 Posts
Low end bog could be caused by several things..

Weak clutch spring, dirty injectors, low fuel pressure, weak stator, a bind in the drivetrain, mis-adjusted idle screw, broken piston skirt, clogged or leaky exhaust, bad TPS (which might throw an error code on the ECU), wrong belt, dirty clutches... And probably several more..

Does it idle well, or do you have to keep revving it to jeep running? At idle does it foul the plugs?

We'll start with the easy stuff..

Look for error codes blinking on the ECU next to the plug. If there is any, write them down and post them. (the order is long flashes than short flashes, and there might be more than one code so check a couple times)

If there's no codes try some injector cleaner in the fuel, and clean the clutches. Read the part# off the belt and make sure it's correct for the sled.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ugly_old_Poo_kid said:
Low end bog could be caused by several things..

Weak clutch spring, dirty injectors, low fuel pressure, weak stator, a bind in the drivetrain, mis-adjusted idle screw, broken piston skirt, clogged or leaky exhaust, bad TPS (which might throw an error code on the ECU), wrong belt, dirty clutches... And probably several more..

Does it idle well, or do you have to keep revving it to jeep running? At idle does it foul the plugs?

We'll start with the easy stuff..

Look for error codes blinking on the ECU next to the plug. If there is any, write them down and post them. (the order is long flashes than short flashes, and there might be more than one code so check a couple times)

If there's no codes try some injector cleaner in the fuel, and clean the clutches. Read the part# off the belt and make sure it's correct for the sled.
No bliking lights..No on plug fouling..I dont have to keep messing with it once its running Usually tree pulls(Within)...ANd exahust is still fairly clean..It also gets hot easy..If there isnt alot of snow to thrash in...Maybe injectors?,,Hmmm is there any easy way to clean em?

Ugly_old_Poo_kid said:
Low end bog could be caused by several things..

Weak clutch spring, dirty injectors, low fuel pressure, weak stator, a bind in the drivetrain, mis-adjusted idle screw, broken piston skirt, clogged or leaky exhaust, bad TPS (which might throw an error code on the ECU), wrong belt, dirty clutches... And probably several more..

Does it idle well, or do you have to keep revving it to jeep running? At idle does it foul the plugs?

We'll start with the easy stuff..

Look for error codes blinking on the ECU next to the plug. If there is any, write them down and post them. (the order is long flashes than short flashes, and there might be more than one code so check a couple times)

If there's no codes try some injector cleaner in the fuel, and clean the clutches. Read the part# off the belt and make sure it's correct for the sled.
Hey will the softwear come with the hardware..PC TO SLED ATTACHMENTS?......Did u see much of a upgrade to Fuel injecting that 800?..This sled is really fighting me every step of the way?....Would there be any performnace to be had by installing the two chain case gears from the 800..I havent do it just thought I would ask?Again I really appreciate the feedback
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,987 Posts
Yes, I noticed quite a power boost adding the efi to the 800. While it would never pull the skis off the ground before, I can get them about up 16" now. I have a pic and vid in my gallery.

Chances are your gears are already lower on the 650 than on the 800. Only way tell for sure it to see what they are, and figure out the ratio.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ok so change the gear from the 800 to the 650 may give it more top end...

So...I got the track....4 Words.....NOT EASY AT ALL..IT faught me every step of the way.....Ugh...Hey how much chain Lube do I put in the chain case?...Whats the easiest way to clean out the fuel injectors? I havent tried that yet...Fuel Injector cleaner dont really work do they.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,987 Posts
Correct, it can give you more top end... ...if... ...your motor has the horsepower to push the sled that fast. And it will cost you getting out of the hole.

Yeah, skid swaps are a biatch doing it the first time, and doing it by yourself.. Having a second person around to hand you tools and parts, and to wrestle stuff around helps a lot.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ugly_old_Poo_kid said:
Correct, it can give you more top end... ...if... ...your motor has the horsepower to push the sled that fast. And it will cost you getting out of the hole.

Yeah, skid swaps are a biatch doing it the first time, and doing it by yourself.. Having a second person around to hand you tools and parts, and to wrestle stuff around helps a lot.
Yea it idles ok just when I give it gas it soundsl like its Hollow start usually 1to 3 pulls
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,987 Posts
So you're saying you hit the throttle, and it sounds "hollow" then revs up? That's generally referred to as a "low end bog".

Does it do it only when on the sled, or does it do it with the belt pulled off.

If it happens with the belt off, then its an engine issue. (the first thing I'd look at is the piston skirts)

If it doesn't happen with the belt on, then you have an issue with the clutchs or drivetrain. (first thing I'd look at is the clutches)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ugly_old_Poo_kid said:
So you're saying you hit the throttle, and it sounds "hollow" then revs up? That's generally referred to as a "low end bog".

Does it do it only when on the sled, or does it do it with the belt pulled off.

If it happens with the belt off, then its an engine issue. (the first thing I'd look at is the piston skirts)

If it doesn't happen with the belt on, then you have an issue with the clutchs or drivetrain. (first thing I'd look at is the clutches)
Well Ya know what ............I ll have to change the belt...I havent chnged it yet so Suffice to say IT MAY B TIME..lol...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,987 Posts
Probably time to pop them clutches off and clean them too, then... [thumb]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ugly_old_Poo_kid said:
Probably time to pop them clutches off and clean them too, then... [thumb]
Question On clucth poping...Your talking both...Well my next questions is...Is it a No brainer to remove and reinstall the clutches? I Know how to install a drive belt...Would a brillo pad work to clean the cluctches Maybe a Quick rundown would be benificial I ve never done it before however I do have a Torgue wrench....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,987 Posts
Removing the primary clutch requires a special tool, these can be had for ~$20-$30.

Removing the secondary should just take removing the bolt, but if it hasn't been removed in a while, it might not come off easy. (this is all the more reason to take it off and clean it)

You can use a scotchbrite for cleaning the sheaves while they're still on the sled, but there's stuff inside that needs cleaning as well. If you don't have the clutch servicing tools, then you'll probably want to take them to your local sled shop and have them serviced.
 
1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Top