Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I'm new to the board and I have questions. I bought a '91 RXL650 EFI indy this spring. I didn't get to ride it much before the snow melted, but it ran really well. Alot faster than my '79 el tigre. Anyways, After sitting all summer I've been getting it ready for this winter. Now heres the problem, after it sits for a week the battery goes dead. This battery was just put in new by the previous owner last fall. If I take it out and charge it on a 2 amp charger for 1.5 to 2 hrs the sled starts and runs fine. If I start it everyday its fine. Sometimes after a week its not completly dead, but weak enough that the relay for the fuel pump is just kicking on and off. Do I have a junk battery with a dead cell or is there somthing else wrong? Thanks.

Tim

·
Registered
64 Posts
another good idea is to get a battery tender so at night you can run an extension cord from your house or wherever and charge it while its in the sled...i have one and it works good...the end of the cord bolts to the battery and between the battery and the charger there is a plug so no need to take battery out. this is the charger that i have http://batterytender.com/product_info.php?products_id=2&osCsid=24f437f286929d478c76a06f991edf23

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks again, Iroc. The battery Tender sure sounds like the way to go. It definetly goes on the 'need to get list' before the season starts.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Battery tenders are a great idea, and they will pay for themselves in no time at all by extending the life of your battries, this espcially true when used with motorcycle and snowmobile batteries that tend to otherwise have rather short life spans.

·
Registered
199 Posts
the battery is the main ingredient 4 the EFI 2 work properly .a weak battery will send false codes 2 the ECU, thus makin' the machine run like crap.i have a 91 rxl also ,it's a rocket,i buy a new battery every season whether it needs it or not.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I keep all of my off season batteries in the freezer in the garage. just make sure its charged and clean and dry when you put it in. a battery stored warm will soon sulfate and be rendered useless if it is not being used. i ran the same battery for 7 years in a 500 efi by doing that little trick.[:D]

·
Registered
142 Posts
I had the same year sled. The problem could be the battery, I had to replace mine every year. Do you leave the key in the ignition? If so make sure the kill switch is in the off position it will drain the battery. Make sure the battery is good before you go out on the trail because if it dies on the trail your dragging it back home.

·
Registered
128 Posts
i think mydog has a point there because i never shut the key off on mine, just used the kill button. i wish i still had that sled cause it was a sweetheart for sure[:p]

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks all for the replies. Mydog, I always hit the kill switch and take the key out due to where I have to store the sled. With a new battery and a battery tender, I should be ready for the season. If it does die on the trail, I hope I remembered the matches and the marshmellows. Thanks again.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts