Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
bought sled about three months ago . It now has a fresh motor and new battery. seems to run well only problem is battery goes dead from a power drain after a week or so . I'm wondering if it could be the rectifier or not? 1991 rxl 650 . I also had to bypass part of the kill switch, has a double contact one to kill engine (off) and 12 volt power (on) for the pump. The switch was shorted between the two. Any help would be much apreciated

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
The ignition switch and kill switch are both supposed to have one open circuit, and one closed circuit in both the off position and the on position.

Before you do any more wire hacking, you need to look at a schematic and understand what you're doing. This is a 94 schematic, should be almost identical to yours.

View attachment 2010121678914_18890.jpg

Fix what you did, and if the problem doesn't go away, let me know, I have a couple other ideas.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have the schematics for 91 to 96. And haven't hacked anything . the kill switch is shorted between the the 2 contacts ,only unpluged conector at handlebars and jumped the plug.Now fuel pump will only run with key switch , kill switch no longer has controle of pump(ran in series with kill switch) new kill switch is discontinued and no jobber available.Only problem is battery will die after a few days. I have tested between battery and ground and have a current draw, just haven't found where yet.And it's not the computer, current draw with computer unpluged

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did a bit of testing tonite and my power drain seems to be coming from the reglator/rectifier . So my next question would be does anyone know how to test a RECTIFIER? schematics show 4 wires, 12 volt red wire from battery. gray/white gray brown/white to stator. But on the 91 rxl there is no brown/white wire

·
Registered
591 Posts
Are you leaving the kill switch down or up when you store it? worst case scenario buy a 5 dollar battery maintainer from harbor freight and keep it on there.

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
hpdon said:
I did a bit of testing tonite and my power drain seems to be coming from the reglator/rectifier . So my next question would be does anyone know how to test a RECTIFIER? schematics show 4 wires, 12 volt red wire from battery. gray/white gray brown/white to stator. But on the 91 rxl there is no brown/white wire
If you think the rectifier is killing the battery, the only test I'd need is to unplug it to see if the draw goes away. If it does, replace the rectifier. They're a sealed unit and not repairable.

I think I have a useable throttle block/kill switch for RXL in my barn. If you're interested, I'll verify and sell it to ya.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
unpluged rectifier and power drain is gone and yes i would be interested in kill switch if the price is right thank's Don

1 - 7 of 7 Posts