Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
FROM E BAY I GOT A NEW SET OF AAEN TRIPLE PIPES AND A USED E.C.U. CHIP (ALSO AAEN) THEN I BOUGHT A DECODER BOX AND A SPRING AND WEIGHTS FOR MY CLUTCH. NOW THAT I'M READY TO DO IT I HAVE 2ND THOUGHT ABOUT THE "USED" CHIP, IN THE SERVICE MANUAL IT SAYS CHIP IS VERY SENSITIVE TO STATIC ELECTRICITY,DO NOT HANDLE.MY QUESTION IS WHAT HAPPENS ? WILL IT TAKE OUT THE E.C.U.? I DON'T WANT MY SLED TO BE DOWN WITH PROBLEMS SINCE WE FINALLY HAVE ENOUGH SNOW TO RIDE.

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
static electricity can wreck the piece you hold, what it is when you feel the little spark from static electricity there is enough amps to smoke some small wiring inside. on the 8000-9000 series deere tractors we had to wear wrist bands that grounded us to the tractor when working on or by the computers, even compressed air, if you blow your cdi or efi computers off with compressed air you could hurt them. on sleds the plastic case helps eliminate that worry. if you are worried about the chip than you need to weigh the cost, try the used one to see if it doesnt work if not what happens, scored pistons or just a bad runner, how much is a lesson cost compared to a new chip. or can aaen test it, they made it they should be able to check it.

i suppose you cant run the pipes without the chip because i guess the chip must increase the fuel map.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanx mad cow,good food 4 thought,not that fastfood crap.i will give aaen a call and see if they can test,they r good people.the chip does run a different program.the chip is $125 that's cheap compared 2 a top end rebuild.thanx again!

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hey 650indy,do u have pipes? what gearing do u run?do u have efi?what year is your 650?what mods on your sled?

·
Registered
637 Posts
I have a set of SLP triple pipes.. I don't know how they compare to AAEN..? For gears 22-39, I removed the EFI in favor of carbs.. So I can't help ya that way.. It's a '92.. Here's the clutch set-up that seems to work best w/ my pipes.. Clutching Primary - Almond Spring, 10-MB (47.5grams).. Secondary - 40-36 Helix Blue spring.. Oh my airbox is gutted too.. but I don't know if you should do that w/ EFI..?

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Before handling the chip touch something metal to discharge any static in your body before picking it up. Also don't move your feet if you are on carpet. The chip will either work or not once you have it in place. What I mean by that is if you can get it installed properly without shocking it it should be as good as a new chip, they don't really wear out. If the chip is damaged odds are the engine won't even start.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts