Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 1993 Polaris RXL650. It runs excellent except for a bog on take. my problem is PLUGS. Every day when i start it up for the first time that day i foul a plug taking off. i let it idle about 4 minutes before taking off and when i take off i keep at low rpms and a steady throttle position. after i changes the plugs im all set for that day but the same problem occurs the next day. i tested my battery and all is good. i run br9es. i was wondering if there is any special way to take off or if there is anything that could be fixed to solve the problem. Any sugg/tips would be realy helpful. this site is awesome and very helpfull keep it up!!

3 IN A ROW MAKE YOU GO

·
Registered
115 Posts
It sounds to me like you may be "loading" your sled up with gas. Put the track in the air and keep the revs up a little so you can clear it out. Letting it idle for 4 minutes eems a bit extreme i think you should let it idle for about 2 minutes revving it up a little at a time. The ride it around increase how much gas you give it as it warms up more. I think the key is, is clearing it out whens it starts up.

·
Registered
290 Posts
It could have to do with the temp. is still warmer the usually in Maine right now. Run a br9eya if your fouling plugs, how is the sled cylinder compression.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i have noticed that when it is warm out i dont foul plugs just when it is 28 about or lower. i have not taken a compresion test(no compresion tester)

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
picklektm is there any way i can adjust anything so im not loading my sled up with gas??

·
Registered
115 Posts
Is yoiu sled carbed or fuel pump? Thia is a strange prbolem because you said it ran better in warmer weather so you shuld generally richen the sled up a little bit cause cold airier is thinner making it run leaner. What i owuld do is RAISE the clip on needle one position and see how it runs this would drop the needle a little lower maing it run a little leaner. IF this doesnt work try changing your main jets or going to a different needle.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
*cough cough* rxl...fuel injection

With that fuel injection system there has got to be some sort of air density sensor, begin with checking that. But first get a manual for the thing as it'll make fixing it much easier! Besides that you might want to try the BR9EYA as suggested, or a BR9EV or BR9EG...they are the higher performance, thinner electrode plugs

Win if you can...
Loose if you must...
But NEVER stop trying!

·
Registered
115 Posts
I dont know jack Sh!t aoubt fuel pumps. but as extreme said there should be an adjsuter on it. Try running a br8ev cause it s a hotter plug. i think you'll foul the 9's. But check and see if your fuel pump can be adjusted.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
fuel injection. no carbs. when i said it runs better when its warmer i meant it doesnt foul plugs but when its warm out it bogs alot when it cold out it doesnt bog too much but it fouls plugs esier.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I just sold my RXL , you should be using the br9es plugs , when the machine gets flooded pull the white connector off behind the key cylinder under the hood ,pull once the reconnect that connector , the RxL waz bad for flooding
mostly when warm outside or after the machine had been running , dont wait 4 mins for take off , get on pull & go , thats the golden rule with the RXL , remember this because this stops continuos fuel from spraying into the engine
The Rxl waz a great machine will blow the doors off many of the new machines out there today , Had mine up to 120miles per hr on lake temagami last season mind you it almost fell apart lol , (not recomended )
If you have any questions email me @ [email protected]/snofan/../images/users/machz2000/POLARIS.jpg

baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

·
Registered
199 Posts
I also own an RXL and experienced the same problems the 1st season. This is what I found. First I started with the air density sensor which is located on the right side of the air box , upon my brothers inspection he found a broken connector, we fixed that problem and it kept it from loading up when at an idle or slow trail speeds . But I was still having trouble fouling plugs . I took it back to the garage , did a compression test to find the stator side cyl. was low on comp. you should have at laest 125# per cyl. a variance of 15# is unnacceptable. I tore it down , the wrist pin circlip had popped out and scarred the cyl. wall along with catching the piston ring and tearing it out. Luckily I caught this before the eng. totally blew up , I still had to sleeve the cyl. Comp. tests are easy to do and could save you alot of cash.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts