Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings fellow snowmobile fanatics!

I have what seems to be a common problem on my RXLs. The reason that I say that is that I have no less that 3 of em doing it.

The issue is that after it is well warmed up and running steady at 50+ it starts to loose power. You can crack it and make it go, but it is boggy unless you do.
My guess is that it is on the warm side and the ECU is dumping fuel as a self preservation thing. It does not reoccur for a few minutes after a stop, and a little extra snow on the running boards keeps it away a little longer.

The three that do it are all early 90s and range from rebuild last year to having 5k+ on the engine.

Two questions.. What is going on, and if it is a temp related issue, how do I improve the cooling system?

·
Registered
9 Posts
What year is your RXL.. the problem your having may be with the temperature sensores in the are box or the block.. There is 3 sensors for temperature.. 1 in the airbox, 1 in the crank case and 1 in the the fuel rail.., And also the trottle body's may be out of sicronisation.

The other factor with the RXL is that the cooling system on the 1994=95 and on were better. The 1995 RXL had the cooling exchangers on the tunnel sides were longer and the front one in front of the track, plus the rear 2 exchangers at the back of the tunnel under the seat.. Big difference in cooling..

·
Registered
9 Posts
Oh there another thing to check to is that the battery in those RXL are atleast at 12.2 volts.. if the the battery is less when you start the engine it will give the computer a fail safe code.. the rule of thumb is that if the battery is at 12 volts or more your good to go.. the system will charge at 3000 rpm and up. So give those battery's a low charge at 2 amps and make sure there at 12.2 or higher all the time and u will not have any problem. Multimeter is your best friend with these sleds.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
HI Marc,

Thank you very much for your reply!

I am sure that the battery is good, it was one of the first things that I checked. I get new Interstate batteries every fall just to keep away the ghosts that undervoltage will bring.

I do think that it is a warm run issue. The sleds are all pre-94, and have the early and much less effective cooling system. I do not get the red light, but it is usually when I am running a long way on hardpack with an inch or two of snow on it that the problem pops up. It also fits the stop for a minute and idle or snow on the boards makes it go away. The first few minutes on the trail and after a pause they run top notch.

I think that you hit the bull's eye when you said that post 94 had better cooling. It makes sense, I have no pobs with my post 94 non RXLs, but remember the old 650s always running hot.

The next question is what to do about it. I have bled the system, used new coolant, checked the belt, and I jump into the ditch pretty often for new snow. I guess I might be looking at an add-on radiator or swapping exchangers. One of the RXLs is really pretty and a visible mod would not be preferred.

Any ideas?

Thanks much!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts