Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 96 rxl runs great when I first start it. After I ride for a couple miles it won't idle and want's to die. No codes are being thrown either. Seems like I've read other threads like this but couldn't find one. I know I've seen this question asked before but I can't remember what the problem was lol.

·
Registered
197 Posts
My 95 seemed to be the same way occasionally.....not all of the time but once in awhile. I would just have to babysit it a little or shut it off if stopping for any lenght of time.

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Originally posted by Kubie
[br]My 95 seemed to be the same way occasionally.....not all of the time but once in awhile. I would just have to babysit it a little or shut it off if stopping for any lenght of time.
Did you fix it?

Got home tonight and it fired right up and idled fine. Took it around the field a couple times, awesome!! Tried starting it about 20 minutes later, nothing. Kinda puzzled, no codes, spark, fuel... still won't run.

·
Registered
5,400 Posts
I noticed with the Aaen Chip my idle can drop down to 800 RPM. But it never dies. It will just sit there and idle. But once it's warm it idles at 1900 RPM. I sort of can't find the stock chip to try and see if that is truly the issue. Also I find that with the Aaen chip my ECU constantly has the red LED trouble Code light lit. Which is somewhat disturbing. I'm not quite sure what your issue could be at this point, but I'm sure you'll find more info and we'll find a solution to the issue.

·
Registered
248 Posts
my sled kinda did the same thing, i would start it and it would be fine and after driving it around the house a couple times it would get real doggy and idle really low. One piston was bad and scored the cylinder. A friend of my dads rebuilt it for me so i never saw the damage. after the rebuild it runs great. hope its not the same thing on yours

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh man I'm skeered now lol. It's only got 1600 miles so I hope that's not my problem. I let it get cold last night and again it fired and ran awesome until I let it idle, it died. I'll check the compression tonight, better be good lol.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Originally posted by GotMud
[br]
[br]My 95 seemed to be the same way occasionally.....not all of the time but once in awhile. I would just have to babysit it a little or shut it off if stopping for any lenght of time.
Did you fix it?

Got home tonight and it fired right up and idled fine. Took it around the field a couple times, awesome!! Tried starting it about 20 minutes later, nothing. Kinda puzzled, no codes, spark, fuel... still won't run.

Never did end up fixing it. If it did happen to stall while idling I would have to hold the throttle wide open while pulling to get it started again....then it would be fine.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Originally posted by GotMud
[br]
Did you fix it?

Never did end up fixing it. If it did happen to stall while idling I would have to hold the throttle wide open while pulling to get it started again....then it would be fine. I am not exactly sure why yours is not co-operating????

·
Registered
985 Posts
get out the can of ether and check for leaks after it warms up, but it sounds as if its too rich not too lean.

is it running all right otherwise? is it firing on all 3?

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yep runs just fine as long as I don't let the rpms drop. All 3 are firing too.

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok checked compression cold 120, 120, 120. Checked compression after heated up when it quit running, same 120 across.
Spraying starting fluid around the cylinder didn't do anything. Still stumped lol, anyone have a clue?

·
Registered
713 Posts
Did you replace the plugs? Also, is the throttle hitting the idle button on the throttle block? Sounds like that may be the culprit.

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes replaced plugs. Yes the throttle is hitting the idle button on throttle block.[:(]
Can someone tell me how to check the coils and cdi with a multi meter? I'm thinking about taking it to the dealer tomorrow for help lol.

·
Registered
5,400 Posts
Between the black and orange wires you should have .4 ohms. Between the plug wire and the black wire there should be 11.2-13.8 K ohms.

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I dropped it off at the polaris dealer yesterday. Hopefully I get it back this weekend and I don't have to lend my wife out to pay for it lol.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hey Mud...This may or maynot be it but,the same thing happend to me after i rebuit my secondary and put an new belt on.....come to findout it was my belt deflection it was way to tight!!!! It made no noise what so ever it just almost stalled it on idle

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Originally posted by moparje
[br]Hey Mud...This may or maynot be it but,the same thing happend to me after i rebuit my secondary and put an new belt on.....come to findout it was my belt deflection it was way to tight!!!! It made no noise what so ever it just almost stalled it on idle
Thanks for trying but that's not the culprit either. We have the same sled too!! I'm definately losing a cylinder when it dies.

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I almost hate to post the results lol. [xx(] Apparently the batterys voltage is a pretty important issue. When under a load my batterys voltage was dropping too low. Safemode made sled run rich which made sled run good cold, bad hot. I never thought to check while running lol. Well I learned an expensive lesson!!

·
Registered
985 Posts
lol, I'm sorry I knew that and should have told you to check it. on the polaris checklist that comes with the select moniter the very first thing on the list is battery voltage.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts