Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some tips for riding in deep sand, my local rail grade(sled trail in winter) has an all sand part for about a mile. That was probably the worst mile or so i have ever ridden on a dirt bike. it was pretty deep sand, almost like beach sand. Some tips would be nice, im tired of going from one side of the trail to the other trying to stay in control.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Empire087 said:
I need some tips for riding in deep sand, my local rail grade(sled trail in winter) has an all sand part for about a mile. That was probably the worst mile or so i have ever ridden on a dirt bike. it was pretty deep sand, almost like beach sand. Some tips would be nice, im tired of going from one side of the trail to the other trying to stay in control.
What i do in the sand pit at my cabin is keep my body loose and give the bike gas. Also keep front end light.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Sand riding is hard with a small wheeled bike. My suggestion is just cruise thru it. Try to avoid spinning the back wheel a lot. Maybe go in 3rd gear with some decent speed.

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My biggest problem is I get bad wobble going through it. The sand was deep enough to come up over the top of my tire. I will keep in mind the things mentioned.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
just go fast and float on to of it...

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Speed and keeping the front end light usually works for me. I stand up with my ass hovering over the rear fender.

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The speed is what scares me especially on trails, i do appreciate the advice though. I hope i can figure it out.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Keep your weight back (more neutral) instead of in an aggressive riding position, stay loose, react to what the bike does. Sand takes a lot of body english to ride without drama. I find that the bike will go where the front tire is pointed, no matter what the back end is doing. Keep your speed/momentum up, kind of like riding in powder, you don't have to be wide open, but you should be going faster than a crawl. Another thing is to be smooth, if you knife the front end you will endo, small corrections go a long way. What kind of bike are you riding?

·
Registered
863 Posts
when needing to apply brakes, it is usually easier to use your back brakes, so that the front tire doesn't slide out on you.

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I ride a 2004 crf 150f, I don't ever touch the front brakes. I've gone over the handlebars before and I don't want to do it again. Loose riding I think will help, I think I was in to aggressive of a posistion and I kept the front end to much on the ground.

·
Registered
863 Posts
it sounds like your to scared while riding. you just got to have fun but be cautious of what can happen. don't always be hanging on for your life and not enjoying riding.

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
Do not be afraid of falling down. I have been riding since I was 8 and I will be honest I still fall down every now and then. I have learned how to prepare for a certain fall. #1 Do not over ride yourself

1 - 14 of 14 Posts