Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so we found the Ultra needed a new brake sensor since we broke the tabs off the original, and the replacement leaked. So ultra21x calls the Polaris dealer, $65 for a new one. He calls a friend that has a used sled shop, he has a used one for $30. Well another friend of ours, who is a heavy equipment mechanic says, call a parts store and get a hydraulic switch, it
s 1/4"pt fitting, so doesn't see why it wouldn't work.

So for $3.50 he got the switch, and for $1.89 he got the conectors to use for these connections and we were golden! So he saved about $60 for a NEW part, sometimes you need to think OUT of the box!:


Just a friendly FYI!

-Skip on behalf of ultra21x
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,749 Posts
Nice find. I'm always looking other places than my local stealership. The price they want for some items is absolutely mindboggling. For instance: idler wheel bearings, they are used in thousands of different applications and can be found for 1/10 the price of what a sled dealership wants. I take mine off of electric/hydroulic units I.E. snow plow pump motors that I replace. They have the same part #. I'm sure there are a lot of general use parts that the sled manufacturers use to keep their costs down but screw the customer on.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,890 Posts
Originally posted by butcher_boy
[br]Nice find. I'm always looking other places than my local stealership. The price they want for some items is absolutely mindboggling. For instance: idler wheel bearings, they are used in thousands of different applications and can be found for 1/10 the price of what a sled dealership wants. I take mine off of electric/hydroulic units I.E. snow plow pump motors that I replace. They have the same part #. I'm sure there are a lot of general use parts that the sled manufacturers use to keep their costs down but screw the customer on.

I also had a similar bearing situation. I needed a new one for my driveshaft. Went to the dealership and they wanted $35 and had to order it. Went to the local auto parts store and he had one in stock for $3.99.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,729 Posts
Good find Skip. Standard brand parts are good quality, too. I also try not to buy bearings, or any other thing they sell at the auto parts store, at the dealer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
713 Posts
Originally posted by Skipponator
[br]Okay, so we found the Ultra needed a new brake sensor since we broke the tabs off the original, and the replacement leaked. So ultra21x calls the Polaris dealer, $65 for a new one. He calls a friend that has a used sled shop, he has a used one for $30. Well another friend of ours, who is a heavy equipment mechanic says, call a parts store and get a hydraulic switch, it
s 1/4"pt fitting, so doesn't see why it wouldn't work.

So for $3.50 he got the switch, and for $1.89 he got the conectors to use for these connections and we were golden! So he saved about $60 for a NEW part, sometimes you need to think OUT of the box!:


Just a friendly FYI!

-Skip on behalf of ultra21x
What were the part numbers? need to replace mine and don't want to spend alot of cash.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,675 Posts
I'm stepping out on a limb and saying the part number is SLS27... Side of the box...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
542 Posts
Originally posted by butcher_boy
[br]Nice find. I'm always looking other places than my local stealership. The price they want for some items is absolutely mindboggling. For instance: idler wheel bearings, they are used in thousands of different applications and can be found for 1/10 the price of what a sled dealership wants. I take mine off of electric/hydroulic units I.E. snow plow pump motors that I replace. They have the same part #. I'm sure there are a lot of general use parts that the sled manufacturers use to keep their costs down but screw the customer on.
Knowing the bearing # is key. in most cases you get the exact same bearing for a 10th of the price if you go looking for a 6205 and not an idler wheel bearing for an 04 pro x.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
713 Posts
Originally posted by Darkstar
[br]I'm stepping out on a limb and saying the part number is SLS27... Side of the box...
Oh, didn't see it, computer dosen't like to view the images for some reason. Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,983 Posts
I'm really laughing out loud. That's too funny.
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top