Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saw them last night in Allentown Pennsylvania. All I can say is they are funky and don't plan on ice drag racing with one. You can't stud on the outside of the track. A dealer friend of ours was there and we flat out asked him(he is a really honest guy) and said that it almost definetally will not hook up on ice. They aren't tipsy so everyone who asked or looked said. At least one guy got on it and started rocking side to side to test that exact thing. It wasn't tipping. The seat is real comfortable but it seems like it will be hard to relax on. Just like the REV you are always in a ready position waiting to hit the trail you can't just sit back kick out your legs and cruise. Sorry I didn't take any pics the lighting in the rooms was horrible. Only thing I took pics of was the new Bearcat cause that thing is HUGE but they didn't turn out. It has the 660 four stroker and a wide track it is just plain huge. I lifted the rear on a MOuntain Cat 800 and I tell you it was light. I mean like about the same as lifting the rear of the studded Viper. One thing commented on by many people was the way the thumb and hand warmer switches are adjusting them into one of the 3 settings(not including off) will be a chore with gloves on. As my uncle put it it will be both on high or both off on the trail. The tail light is pretty ugly but I wouldn't be surprised if we see an aftermarket replacement one that looks a lot sleaker(sp??). They removed the heat exchangers in the top of the tunnel all it has now is one tunnel protector across the top. We may just may get a chance to ride one in the near future but taht is a secret :). A dealer friend of ours will have one or two on display and the ycome with like the coil disconnect and other things to prevent you from running them but he is just maybe kinda looking at getting around that. He also commented onthe REV saying that the way you sit your knees are just a couple inches off the dash and ppl actually hit there knees on it. Rumor has it SkiDoo is gonna put out bibs with knee pads for it :). One of our friends did ride an REV and he says it is like nothing else and not a racer but rather a trail runner. Our Dealer buddy said if you really want to go out and lake race get that(he then pointed to a ZR 900). I must say that I never liked any of the paint schemes that Cat is offering but when I saw them they look much better in person. All in all seems like the Firecats will be kick ass trail sleds but not really a weekend lake racer. Sorry again on the pictures.

·
Administrator
13,092 Posts
Thanx for the info.

I've heard the Cat 900 is a dog though. I heard the F7 Firecat can beat the 900. The 800 can whoop it too.

This is just what I heard and I have no clue if it's true or not. I do believe it because they are saying that little cats beat the big cat.

http://www.bolliger-mabillard.com

I love B&M Coasters!

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
i don't think the 800's outrun the 900, maybe the 7 though. a guy i know has an 800 with pipe, cluthing, and weight reduction, and it sticks with his friends 900, so i'd say the 900 is faster. when the two run on the river the 900 is left in the dust by that guy's other sled, a 440 fan sno pro, so they must not handle so well.

There's no stopping Arctic Cat........ REALLY!!

'99 XC SP 500

·
Registered
21 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>Originally posted by Sled_Dog:

.....don't plan on ice drag racing with one. You can't stud on the outside of the track. A dealer friend of ours was there and we flat out asked him(he is a really honest guy) and said that it almost definetally will not hook up on ice.

[/quote]

So let me get this straight, your "dealer friend" is ignorant enough to make a statement like that??? Sorry, but BULLSH!T. Just because you cannot stud the outside edges of the track doesn't mean you won't be able to get it to hook up on ice. Your "dealer friend" should know better.

Also, to P-man, the 900 is no slouch at all, it easily beats the 800. The problem CAT is going to have is apparently the new F7 goes by both the 800 and 900 at about 100MPH!!!! This is according to CAT's motor designer who posts on Amsnow.com. The biggest difference is that the 900 has been responding well to aftermarket bolt on products. Some companies have it up to around T-Cat HP numbers.

2000 ZR 500 EFI
2001 ZR 600 EFI w/heelclickers
2003 F7 EFI on order

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well if you can't put a lot of studs you can't hookup. Aka spin aka bad ice drags. Also the 900 isn't a dog. a Piped 800 will beat it but a stock one won't. As for the F7 I have no idea on that.

·
Registered
21 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>Originally posted by Sled_Dog:

well if you can't put a lot of studs you can't hookup. Aka spin aka bad ice drags.
[/quote]

You could, theoretically, get 192 studs down the center if you wanted to??? No??? I think that 144-168 down the center will be just fine for the F7 to hook on ice. It will also depend on the style of stud being used, chisel tooths would be better for ice drags.

My point is to make a blanket statement like it won't hook up on ice is both ignorant and unproven.

2000 ZR 500 EFI
2003 F7 EFI on order

·
Registered
502 Posts
well i think you all need to actually see the facts before you report them! I don't call anyone a liar, but I work in the aftermarket industry and I know all the numbers and figures. The 900 is not a dog, but it is essentially the same thing as the 800 except it has a longer stroke. The bottom end is the same! They (800, 900) are geared exactly the same, or at least the ones we tested with stock, so that means they will go exactly the same speed. 1 cannot go faster than the other if they are geared the same, it is impossible. The f-7 is real close to beating both depending on how you look at it. It will win in some areas and lose in others.
And the dealer who said it will not hook up on ice is only partially right. SnoPro's were ice raced this year with some success. If you could get them set up they worked good, but many considered them really loose. But they also had an alternate track that they were allowed to use that they could put studs in the outside belt. Get your facts straight.

I don't brake until I see God!

·
Registered
21 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>Originally posted by ajr#175:

The f-7 is real close to beating both depending on how you look at it. It will win in some areas and lose in others......Get your facts straight.

[/quote]

The FACTS as you say, are this, NO ONE has an F7, nor has anybody gotten the chance to race the F7 against the 800 and 900. So you yourself are making judgemental and opinionated statements yourself.

I suggest you take your own advice and get your facts straight.

Thank You.

2000 ZR 500 EFI
2003 F7 EFI on order

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
its getting a little rowdy in here!!! lol, anyways. I thought i would just get my bit on the 900. I was in the dealers today picking up my sled and i noticed that he had the new zr and mt. cat 900 in his place. He told me that I could check it out so i sat on i, (very comfortable) checked the under hood, and picked up the back end. ( not to bad if u ask me). I loved the decals.

i wanta see the f7 race against the 900.
just my bit.

ARTIC CAT SNOWMOBILES- my way to play

·
Registered
502 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>Originally posted by ZREFI:

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>Originally posted by ajr#175:

The f-7 is real close to beating both depending on how you look at it. It will win in some areas and lose in others......Get your facts straight.

[/quote]

The FACTS as you say, are this, NO ONE has an F7, nor has anybody gotten the chance to race the F7 against the 800 and 900. So you yourself are making judgemental and opinionated statements yourself.

I suggest you take your own advice and get your facts straight.

Thank You.

2000 ZR 500 EFI
2003 F7 EFI on order[/quote]

No one has and f-7? Try calling some aftermarket companies and ask them what they are testing with then? Call engineering and ask them what they are testing with. I have no idea who you are and you have no idea who i am. But I can tell you this, I more than likely know a helluva lot more about it than you do being that you live in CT and I live and have lived just a few miles from Arctic, and know pretty much every field test and engineering rider, not to mention a whole buttload of others to which i will give names when asked.
And by the way, My facts are straight, and I will always back them!

Edited by - ajr#175 on 14 Mar 2002 21:27:19

·
Registered
502 Posts
I almost forgot. Please don't read this the wrong way either. I wasn't trying to bash anyone or say anyone was stupid either. I didn't mean it that way if it sounded like that either. So if any of you were offended, I am sorry if it came out that way.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I would bet money taht if I called D&D right now they would have a F7 there. I mean if someone like the dealer I know who isn't by no means anywhere near a big dealer got one then what about D&D who not only works in the SnoCross circuit but also sells sled? I don't want to start an argument but if you cram 192 studs into the center a lot will be in the same scratch patern. You want to try and stud with as many studs on as many different scratch paterns as possible in a set group of say 4 lug areas or somethin like that. If all the studs are in the same scratch pattern it won't hookup well. Just a comment to think about.

·
Premium Member
15,513 Posts
hehehehe i like this. alittle hostility!!! and its not locked yet. cool........ my 2 cents is that NONE of truly know the facts untill the snow flies again. I personally think that if the f7 wouldn't do good in a ice drag, i don't care. i would buy it anyway. It just looks like a good all around sled. It's kinda like how a corvette won't do good in the winter. That is not what a corvette is for. :)

1992 arctic cat jag deluxe
1996 ZRT 600

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
it looks like a good trail sled to me. Same as the REV but not a real racer when it comes to drags. My 2cents. Your right no one knows. I do however know that crossed scratch patterns are bad.

·
Premium Member
15,513 Posts
btw, if you put in a goofy pattern of picks, or a goofy number, wouldn't you get a vibration at high speeds? kinda like messin with the balance?

1992 arctic cat jag deluxe
1996 ZRT 600

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
you have to balance. If you put 2 picks to one side of the track one time you have to put 2 to the other side the next time. Otherwise it wouldn't work out well yes. Not quite sure what it would do. But if you put 192 in there I think it would be pretty much to the point where you have no room to place studs in any form of pattern other than like 4 in one section all right next to each other.

·
Administrator
13,092 Posts
Now now boys, let's play nice.

I stand corrected on the 900 issue. Like I said it was just what I heard and had no idea if it was true or not.

I'll be keeping my eye on this topic though. Things are getting kinda riled up.

http://www.bolliger-mabillard.com

I love B&M Coasters!

·
Registered
11,943 Posts
You guys are arguing about scratch patterns on a track with studs??? On that note, I might as well join in! I do not think that the new cats will be very capable drag racing machines, just for the reasons that Sled_Dog stated. I won't know for sure until I line up side by side with one next year and show em' who's the boss. hehehe

Vote for Snowmobile Fanatics.com

1 - 19 of 19 Posts